LS1 brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 03, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am swapping LS1 f-body brakes all the way around on my 69 Camaro. I was wondering if there is any kind of clearance with the rear shocks? Also while I have everything torn apart I would like to change the brake lines, who makes a quality set that would work well for this upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech

What do you plan on using for a booster/master/prop? I have a setup that may work depending on that you are using!

Matt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I plan on using the LS1 booster and master cyclinder

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Tommy

Exclamation

I'm still trying to sort out the parking brake on this swap.. I have a rear end rigged up with these brakes and everything looks great. It appears there is just enough room for the shock on the driver side so you don't have to mess with it. I won't know for sure until I try it on the car. I have heard another source say the shocks clear fine.

Has anyone figured out how to adapt the parking brake to our cars? I know it's easy enough to have custom cables made. But still need to figure out the rear end side cable mount..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
Noel

I've got this swap pretty much finished on my '69. I took the LS1 ebrake bracket and modified it to bolt to the back two axle flange bolts. Then looped the cables up over the axle, along the frame rails to the original front ebrake mounts on the '69. I do need to add an extra length of return spring to the cable but a quick pull from the front locks everything up fine. I welded two small brackets to the axle for the flex hoses and made up a couple of new hardlines. I just bought two lengths with the bubble flare, cut one end and did the double flare to match the '69 centre flex hose.

The cars not finished yet but I can't see why this won't work really well.

Noel
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 09:24 PM
Senior Tech
Tommy

Thanks Noel!

After I posted and playing with my mock up, I noticed that when you loop the cable back it's about perfect to install up front on the original frame bracket.

If you have the retainer bracket from the 4th gen you can cut the hose part off and weld it to the axle tube.

The original hard line if cut 4-5" back from the flange can be reflared for the discs.

I feel like I've got this nearly figured out except one last thing. I can't picture how you modified the rear cable bracket to bolt to the flange bolts. I've got this rigged up on a spare diff and it isn't very clear to me I was thinking maybe I'd need to fabricate something to bolt to the leaf retainer or something, maybe the flange bolts could be easier.
Actually there was one other thing. The caliper hits the inside of the rim where the face plate is fastened to the rim. (15" Rally wheels) I figured about a 1/8" wheel spacer is needed to help clear it. Is there a better way? I don't think there's enough meat to grind on in that area of the caliper.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech
Noel

Poncho,

I can take a couple of pictures of what I did and emial them to you if that would help. I cut a few V's in the bracket and re-welded them in order to help change tha angle of the pull. You'll see in the pics. I think it will work well. The only thing I should have done while the axles were out earlier is install 2 longer grade 8 bolts in the axle flanges. There is enough thread through though.

On the hose brackets, I didn't have the original mounts to weld to the axle, just made my own. I had no clearance problems with the 17" rims, with either the shocks or the calipers. That might be because it's a 2nd gen axle which is 1 1/2" wider than stock. I made the clearance work with backspacing on TT 2's.

Noel
Tornado Red '69 Camaro ZZ383, 700R4, LS1 brakes, 17" TTII's
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Tommy

Thumbs up

Ohhh ok

With the big rims you solved a lot of little issues. I would love to see a few pics of what you worked out on the brackets. [email protected] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

CAPONE - The original lines for the rear are probably short enough that they won't see much improvement by being replaced with braided lines. But if you do want braided, get a replacement set for a 98-2002 LS1 Fbody from Earl's. Or you can by the parts and make your own. You need -
4 x 10mm banjos for the front and back
4 x Female ends

I can check length later...

[ 08-06-2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Poncho ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode