ping noise from wheel... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry

I have a question. I have a 1994 V6 camaro. Here in the past couple weeks I've noticed that when I turn right that I hear a spring like ping noise under my left wheel. At first I thought maybe it was my driver's seat or something...kinda sounds like that spring noise. But...now I noticed that the noise is getting louder and it is coming from the drivers side front wheel area. I have no clue what this could be? I told my dad about this, he's the only one who works on my car. He told me that I don't have CV joints so it couldn't be that... I know it's something. I don't know what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 08:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Sound to me like maybe it has a broken sway bar link. They are basically big long bolts with some bushings and washers that connect the sway/stabilizer bar to the lower control arm.

This is a pretty quick and cheap thing to fix. Have your dad crawl under and take a look or bring it to a mechanic and tell them that's what you think is wrong.

------------------
Mighty Mouse
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Okay, I'll let him know. I just spoke to him and he said he would have to see it to be able to tell. I may take off a day of work and let him check it out. I appreciate the response! Thank you so much!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 10:10 AM
David Pozzi

If your foot is on the brakes when you do it. The noise might be the brakes slipping slightly when you turn the steering wheel.
The tire needs to rotate slightly when you turn the steering wheel and if the brakes are on while the tire rolls slightly, the brakes will slip making a noise.

Otherwise check your lower ball joints, they usually make a squeaking, gronking noise when bad.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, I've noticed this for the past couple weeks....my dad just changed my front break pads on Sunday..so it's been about 2 days since he's looked at them. I do have the breaks applied when this noise happens. I haven't really noticed it othewise. I'll have him check it out though.

[This message has been edited by Jennifer (edited 11-13-2001).]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 01, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Hey Jennifer, I have had the same problem with my '95 Z28 as of late. It is a sharp pop sound when turning a corner at speed.

Does yours make the noise while sitting and turning the wheel or while driving?

My swaybar links have checked out fine..so I am starting to think it may be a ball joint problem. You may want to have someone check that if the swaybar looks ok....

------------------
Steve - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> My Camaros (updated 8/18/01)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

I noticed lastnight that it makes the pop noise when I turn either way now. It's just not turning left. I don't notice it when my brakes are off. I usually have my breaks applied when this happens...such as turning into a parking lot or turning in to another street. I don't notice it while driving around corners or anything like that. Mainly just when I am turning onto another street or parking.

I also noticed lastnight that after I parked I moved my steering wheel from left to right and I heard the noise. Not as loud, but it was still there and that was without my brakes applied. All the other times my breaks have been applied. I've listened when I turn corners and my brakes aren't applied and it doesn't make that sound. I'm going to have my dad check it out and if he doesn't know what it is then I will probably take it in the have it looked at...not the the dealer though..they will screw me over...I don't trust them at all.

My car has 134,000 miles on it...it's had so much stuff replaced on it and I keep pouring money into it. It's very annoying and I'm so sick of it. I've had it 4 years and it will be paid off in 3 months! Finally! I have a torque converter that is going out on it as well..I'm just waiting for it to go out all the way so I am going to have the transmission replaced.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 07:01 AM
David Pozzi

Don't wait for it to go all the way!
It will damage the transmission internal parts even more and cost you more money for a rebuild. You will need more "hard parts".
Soft parts are clutch linings, seals, filters, etc. Hard parts are hubs, shafts, pumps, etc. They are more expensive.
It is better to fix it sooner rather than later, or you will have to pay double the price to fix it.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Oh....hummm...well, my cousin works at Aamco Transmissions and he told me he would put a new transmission in for me for $1000. Usually it costs about $1500 to $2000...but he said he would do it for $1000. He told me that I wouldn't get my moneys worth out of it unless I let it go out. I don't know....if it keeps getting worse like it's going to die or something I'll see about getting it fixed soon. I looked at just getting the torque converter replaced and I was told no one would do it because it would be a waste of money. My transmission would eventually go out and I'd have it replaced again. So..the best thing to do was just let it go out and get a new transmission. I'm so sick of car problems!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 01, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
well i feel bad for you also, but when you put that many miles on a car stuff starts going bad, its enibitable (sp?)
personally i think specialized shops are a good place to bring your car if you know what the problem is, and dont want to deal with the dealer.
one word of caution about that transmission, if its going then it wont be long before it goes, and when it does it wont go when its a good time for you, only when you need the car to work. take david's advice and have the transmission replaced or worked on.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 01, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yeah...I think I'll talk to my dad and my cousin who will work on it and see if I can get it fixed now. That will be one less thing for me to worry about. I'm just really concerned about this brake problem thing I'm having. I still haven't got my dad to look at it. I will this weekend though.

Thanks for all the replies.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 01, 09:59 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
just becareful, if you dont know whats making the sound, it could be nothing, or it could be a ball joint ready to go or something that's very important like that.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 01, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'll be sure to make a post on what the problem is that is wrong with my car. I'm really curious as to what it could be. If my dad doesn't find out I will put it in the shop to get checked out next week for sure. I dont want my wheel to come off or anything.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode