springs(david pozzi) - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 02, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

hi david,im getting ready to finish the suspension on my 69z,this is what i did so far,solid body mounts ,weld in frame connectors,new rear leafs from eaten spring z28 4 leafs with poly bushings,poly control arm bushings,im kinda stuck on choosing front springs either moog #6308 or the hotchis,with the hotchis im afraid of the headers dragging the ground,but i dont want the front end way up in the air.,im running a 350 with alum. heads and the battery is in the trunk.,also im running a hotchis sway bar,i was looking at the guldstand mod. on your web page and it looks straight forward on doing it, would i gain anything from this mod., thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 02, 06:19 PM
David Pozzi

Yes the Guldstrand mod is worth it. You can get pretty good cornering by just cranking in a LOT of neg camber but the Guldstrand mod makes that unnecessary.
I would try to match tire grip to spring rates. A 550 front is good with street tires of normal size on a Camaro.
The Hotchkis are high 600's to 725 I've heard, and that is good with very grippy tires like BFG R1's or slicks, or very hard use like autocross or track.
A Moog #6041 is probably equivalent to a Hotchkis front spring and is uncut so you can trim it to the ride height you want.

A really good looking spring near the 550 rate I like is the #5536 it would have to be cut shorter, but should come very close. It is 488 lbs without cutting.

I think most street cars with full tread depth tires would like the 550 rate springs.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 02-27-2002).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 02, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davidpozzi:
Yes the Guldstrand mod is worth it. You can get pretty good cornering by just cranking in a LOT of neg camber but the Guldstrand mod makes that unnecessary.
I would try to match tire grip to spring rates. A 550 front is good with street tires of normal size on a Camaro.
The Hotchkis are high 600's to 725 I've heard, and that is good with very grippy tires like BFG R1's or slicks, or very hard use like autocross or track.
A Moog #6041 is probably equivalent to a Hotchkis front spring and is uncut so you can trim it to the ride height you want.

A really good looking spring near the 550 rate I like is the #5536 it would have to be cut shorter, but should come very close. It is 488 lbs without cutting.

I think most street cars with full tread depth tires would like the 550 rate springs.
David

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>thanks david,i am going to be running stock ralley rims and some bfg tires,any idea on how much to cut off of the #5536 spring to get stock z28 ride height,should they be cut to the same height of the #6308,if i just put the #6308 in would i lose alot of handling,my goal is a good handling street car.thanks again

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 02, 11:01 AM
David Pozzi

The 6308 are stock Z/28 springs and are about as soft as you would want to use. Since you will use stock type wheels and full tread tires, not special autocross tires or extremely wide tires, this spring would be a drop in and work pretty well. It would probably allow a little excessive travel when you get into hard cornering and would allow a little more front end lift at very high speeds.

#5536 will hold up very well on the street and still give a good ride, will limit bottoming out if your car is lowered, will not allow as much front end lift at high speeds.

The 5536 are pretty close in height but are a hundred pounds stiffer than #6308 and one end is different than what is needed for a Camaro.

You will have to cut the different end to match a Camaro spring, the other end is OK as is.
I'm guessing it might need to cut to be an inch shorter in standing free height than it comes, to equal a #6308 in height, but that is just a guess. It is listed very close to the #6308 in free length but is stiffer, so would sit higher for a given free length.

pdq67 found this one and I don't know if he has installed them yet. I have no experience with them.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 02, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

wow this is like choosing a cam shaft,well i think i will go with the #6308 with the guldstrand mod.,i would go with the #5536 but im afraid of cutting them uneven,i havent ruled the hotchkis out yet,thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode