69 Camaro Stock Ride Height - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What's the stock (aka factory) ride height for a '69 big block convertible? I'm try to understand when some of the vendors say their springs lower 1" or 2" what that means. Currently I'm running about 12 1/2" from the center of the hub to the fender lip on the front and would like to keep it about there when replacing the current springs with stiffer springs. I'm currently running big block original replacement springs from Rick's first generation. Can anyone out there help?

Thanks,

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 11:38 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

The dimensions are listed in the assembly manual.

The Center of the lower control arm bolt to the ball joint seat is 2.59".

From the front wheel centerline, measure back 33" down the side of the car and measure from the floor up to the bottom of the rocker is 9.24"

From the rear wheel centerline, measure 20" forward and measure the floor to bottom of rocker to be 8.72"

And now for the easy one! Measure from the top of the rear axle tube up to the underside of the rear frame rail. (This is the one I like to use) It should be 5.51"

All dimensions are plus or minus 3/8", these dimensions are all based off of F70x14" tires on stock wheels with 24 PSI, full cooling system, and 2 gallons of gas.

As for the aftermarket stuff, all bets are off. They all ride too high. Call Detroit Eaton and buy what you want from them. They will get you where you want to be and if it is not right, they will make it right. They did it for me [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 09:02 AM

I just love the 3/4" overall slop GM built by b/c when my pass. side sagged due to my b-i-l hitting a dead-furrow one night at a good clip going across a bean field to a kegger, they said, "oh, ya, 3/4" down is in spec!!!"

That's when I paid like $20 for my BB optonal A/C springs AND they installed them free...

pdq67

PS., that was the night he popped a motor mount, cut the top rad. hose with the fan belt, blew her dry and cracked a head ALL while beating a '66/'67 tri-powered GTO dragging!!!

And to top it off, it was my wife and my wedding anniversary night b/c we had switched cars due to his '66 Buick Skylark having A/C.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode