Steering box / shaft joint... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 02, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

I have a 69 Camaro that originally had manual steering. I changed over to power steering and can't find the proper joint from the steering box to the steering shaft. I've had two and both seemed to be a little big. I've got one on now that works but it's cranked on tight. I don't drive the car because I'm afraid it might give out. Does anyone know where I can get a new one and make sure it's a proper fit or do I have to keep searching the scrap yards and try again. I don't want to pull the box out again and not have the right one to go back in. I got the steering box and pump from a junkyard and the joint wasn't there. I don't know exactly what it came out of, I know it was just a compatible box. This is my first priority, then it's suspension, brakes, etc... Thanks in advance for the help.
www.geocities.com/frstgencamaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 02, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech

I got mine from Ricks first gen. www.firtsgen.com . You really do have to tighten them hard, because you have to bend the metal. I used an impact and a long extension to tighten mine.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 02, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

When you got yours did it come with the bolt? I don't see it in the info. Did you have to buy anything with it? I was actually thinking about getting the tilt column for $250 instead of paying $71 for the coupler without tilt. If I go with the tilt column, do I have to buy the coupler flange with it and a rag joint? Thanks for the earlier reply.

------------------
www.geocities.com/frstgencamaro

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 02, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech

If you have a third gen. steering box(looks identical but the input shaft is smaller) then you need a joint from a late seventies camaro(junkyard) The input shaft on a third gen is definetly way smaller and the joint will not work. You probably need the late seventies joint. a lot of people take the boxes of of third gen irocs and TA's because they have stiffer steering, that is better for performance, and you need that certain joint to convert it, also if you do have a third gen. box the pressure hose will be different.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech

I don't remember if it came with a bolt or not. That's all I got to mate the box to the column.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech

The piece your looking for is mounted on the extention shaft that goes from the steering column to the gearbox on the newer cars. once you unbolt the extension from the column, grind off the rivets, it will then bolt up to your rag joint section with two small bolts and it has the smaller hole to fit the newer gearbox. After 69, chevy had the pitman arm go back instead of forward and the shaft was needed to allow the gearbox to be moved forward. I've done this several times for friends and the price in the catalogs is definately premium.

------------------
69 convertible
LT1 4L60E
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 08:36 AM
sfcamaro69

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cody:
If you have a third gen. steering box(looks identical but the input shaft is smaller) then you need a joint from a late seventies camaro(junkyard) The input shaft on a third gen is definetly way smaller and the joint will not work. You probably need the late seventies joint. a lot of people take the boxes of of third gen irocs and TA's because they have stiffer steering, that is better for performance, and you need that certain joint to convert it, also if you do have a third gen. box the pressure hose will be different.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can also use the rag joints out of chevy trucks from the 80's, they have the 3/4" with a flat spot and I believe 36 splines female end that matches the third-gen input shaft, and also has the larger 2.5" bolt pattern that will match you're '69 steering column, my original '69 manual steering also had the 3/4" input shaft but had 30 splines and no flat spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode