Need help from the brake experts. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a brake problem that I just can't seem to figure out. My system is all new. SSBC front super duty kit and their standard rear disc kit. All new lines and I'm just using the stock distribution block and an adjustable prop. valve in the rear line. I believe I have them bled good. I have a hard pedal but I can only get 500 psi to each caliper(need 1000-1200). I checked the booster, it is not leaking. I have the rod in the bottom hole on the pedal. The only thing that doesn't seem right is that I pulled the vacuum line off at the check valve and checked the vacuum. I only get 14-15 inches. SSBC says I need at least 18 to operate the brakes. Shouldn't the booster build up the vacuum enough to operate them? My motor is a 2002 LS1 with the GM hotcam. There are plenty of guys running this cam and bigger ones with no brake problems. I don't know if it is my motor/vacuum causing the brakes not to work or something with the brakes themselves. Any help/suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

68 RS convertible with a 2002 LS1/4L60E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 05:09 PM

Sounds like the wrong master cylinder size, brake tube sizing or it could be the vaccume but I wouldnt point a definitive finger at that just yet. You should still be able to create enough pressure without the booster......

Did your car originally come with four wheel drum? You might have to change the prop/metering valve because of this. Might want to re-confirm the position of where the rod needs to be with the system you have installed.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes it was originally a 4 wheel drum car. But I'm not using any metering valve. The rod was in the upper hole for manual and I put it in the lower hole for power.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 04:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

John, I know this isnt helping but how did you hook up your rear E brakes? I have a 69 and cant seem to get the friggen cables figured out neither line holder works.

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Stenn5, With mine being an automatic, I did not even bother hooking them up.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 07:56 AM

What's the MC bore size?

Joe
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 09:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

John,
I'm running a automatic too, but would at least try to make the damn things work. Did you try to hook em up? I know when I called SSBC they said there are hundreds sold with no problem,
Thanks,
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Master cylinder bore is 1 1/8".

Stenn5, No I have not even tried.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

With that caliper package and engine vacuum a 15/16" max M/C is needed. A 7/8" would be better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I thought you would only want one that small for manual brakes. I would think bigger would be better for power brakes. Am I wrong about this?

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john68conv:
I thought you would only want one that small for manual brakes. I would think bigger would be better for power brakes. Am I wrong about this?
It all depends on the caliper bore size. With small PBR style calipers up front I would run a 15/16" or 1" MC with some sort of power assist (hydroboost, vacuum boost, powermaster, vacuum pump etc.).

I don't know what size calipers the SSBC kit comes with but it sounds like you aren't being able to generate enough line pressure to get the system to work.

Joe
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 07:04 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The stock MC for the large single caliper on most power assisted GM cars is 1 1/8". Since the caliper piston is so large a lower line pressure is needed to obtain the necessary clamping force.

However, the caliper piston size in the PBR and T-bird calipers that SSBC provides is much smaller than the stock single-piston caliper. Hence, more line pressure is needed to obtain the same clamping force.

As an example, Ford uses a 1" MC on hydraboosted Mustangs. The front caliper is the same as yours, the rear is similar in piston size.

The hydraboost offers WAY more assist than a vacuum booster, especially at low vacuum and/or smaller booster diameter.

Now, if Ford deemed it necessary to use a 1" MC with a hydraboost, then lets assume that 1" is the correct MC size. Let's choose 1000 psi line presure as an example. For the 1" MC it will require 785# pushing on the piston. For the 1 1/8" it will require 994#. That means you will need to apply 27% more leg strength to the 1 1/8" MC just to be equal.

Now throw in the hydraboost factor. My stock, large diameter booster, with a 1" MC, engine revved up to make 18+ inHg only made 900-1000 psi line pressure using a gorrilla leg. The Hydraboost makes 1400 psi, using the Ford 1" MC (I believe) using less leg.

I believe that chicane67 uses a large MC in his Baer equiped 13"/12" package, but in a manual format with a grippy pad. Hopefully he will chime in here.

The best way to handle the rear parking brake cable for the T-bird caliper is to have custom cables made. On Torker's website he has the company listed that made our cables. I think it's Control Concepts in Santa Fe Springs, CA. I'll try to confirm the name and phone number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 08:59 PM
David Pozzi

Baer is uses a 15/16" MC for PBR caliper with Power brakes.
I'd try that and see how it works.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone know what power master clyinder with a 15/16 bore would work for me? I'm really thinking about just going manual now with a 1" or 15/16". But I would not be opposed to trying a 15/16" power clyinder either. By the way, the calipers are PBR 2 piston on the front. Thanks, John

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john68conv:
Does anyone know what power master clyinder with a 15/16 bore would work for me? I'm really thinking about just going manual now with a 1" or 15/16". But I would not be opposed to trying a 15/16" power clyinder either. By the way, the calipers are PBR 2 piston on the front. Thanks, John
John,
You are going to hate the PBRs in a manual mode, especially in a panic situation. The small piston area of the PBR's is not able to generate enough line pressure at the rotor for sufficient clamping force when running a manual MC.

Does your power booster have a long or short pushrod? For a long pushrod use either a 1" 'Vette MC or a '77 Malibu six cylinder 15/16" MC. If it's a short pushrod you'll need to do some machine work on the O.D. to fit (for an early Moraine booster) the famous S10 quick take-up MC. That's what I used on my Chevelle's C5 PBR 13" brake conversion (see sig for pictures of the swap).

Anyone else have some MC ideas to try?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode