12 bolt or not? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
I am thinking of putting a 12 bolt 3.73 posi rearend in my 67 camaro that currently has a 10 bolt "limited slip" with stock gears. My question is should I go through all the trouble to swith to the 12 bolt rear end, I mean I would have to switch leaf springs from mono to multileaf along with alot of other "stuff" that comes with conversions, or should I just rebuild the 10 bolt stock rearend with new axles and posi unit with the 3.73 gears? Any info is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech

Figure on a rebuilt 12-bolt with a new Eaton posi to run about $1500, unless you have a line on something less expensive. Multi-leafs, $225. Hardware (if needed, U-bolts, shackles, bushings, mounting pads, shocks, brake parts, etc, $???). You'd easily spend from $1500 to two dimes for this job. It's up to you if it's worth it. If it were me, I'd probably rebuild your 10-bolt with a Eaton posi, and some 3.73's. Then order new replacement mono's...maybe some slapper bars would help the mono's and keep tires from bouncing around on blast off.

Let us know what you decided and why.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
Well I guess that is a no brainer Sleepy-69. I am going to rebuild my 10 bolt with a posi unit and 3.73 gears. You mentioned replacement mono leafs....Are these leafs built strong that the originals? And where can I order these leafs from? Would you suggest buying new hardened axles for the new posi unit or should I use the stock ones? Any idea on how much a shop would charge for the installation of the posi unit and the gears?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech

Brother 67 RS...check into eatonsprings.com for replacement mono's. Yes, my guess is these would be equivilant or superior to the originals. This is a good company with good quaility springs and advice.

Gears, Posi and labor? How about $750 +/- for a bench job...meaning they don't have to remove the rearend...you just drop it off.

Axles? I can't answer, but the stockers are mighty strong.

Good luck with your rearend!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 03:04 PM
David Pozzi

67's dont have the staggered shocks. I'd advise three leaf "mono replacement" springs to control the wheel hop unless you are using traction bars.
Mono springs are lower spring rate than multi leaf.
I bought a 12 bolt rear end with 4.88 and posi for $300. out of a local newspaper ad.

I guess I was lucky, but check around, you might get lucky too. I'd rather spend money rebuilding a 12 bolt than a 10 bolt, if you can find one.
If you just can't find a 12 bolt. Look around for an 8.2" rear, they are stronger than your 8.2" rear.
Your 8.2" rear can work OK if the power and abuse isn't too bad.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
dave, just one correction, i believe you meant 8.5" rear, just wanna clear it, as to not confuse 67RS. I didnt want to sound like a smarta** though.

anywho, if you switch to a 12 bolt, use 5 leafs instead of three, IMO the ones i have are lame, but it could be other factors.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 10:31 PM
Tech Team

(8.2" vs 8.5")
The 8.2" vs 8.5" refers to the diameter of the ring gear. The advantage to the 8.5" is that it is stronger than the 8.2".

67-69 camaros with 10 bolts are all 8.2"
70 10 bolts are 8.2 (Nova and 67-69 Camaros are interchangeable)
71-74 Camaros & Nova are all 8.5"

Cheers

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
Will the 8.5" fit in my 67 10 bolt rearend?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 08:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Peter

There's an article you can download from CarCraft.com that illustrates replacing the Camaro 8.2 10 bolt with an 8.5 for $400. You need to get a housing from a 72-75 Nova. They claim it is nearly as durable as a 12 bolt.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 05:45 PM

Most likely the 10 bolt you have in the car is a 8.2" ring gear.The carrier for this is smaller than the 8.5 and I don't think the 8.5 will fit. Have heard that adapters (?)are sold for this conversion.I am doing the same conversion in my 67.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
Thanks for all the input! I think I am going with the 72-75 Nova rearend and putting in the 8.5 posi unit with 3.73 gears. Thanks alot Coach420 for sending me that article from carcraft.com.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech

I believe the correct year nova's with the 8.5 rear are the 70-74. '75 was a model change. I put a 8.5 out of a 70' nova in my car.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 08:34 AM
Tech Team

Due to the strike in 1970 some Novas were
equipped with 8.2". Just get a 1972 Nova Diff. as stated previously its 8.5" for sure
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I was at a rear end specialty shop several months ago and the guy showed me the difference between a 12-bolt axle and an 8.5-inch 10-bolt axle. The 10-bolt's axles were much beefier - thicker and no taper. The axles are the 12-bolt's main area of weakness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode