Guildstand mod? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 03, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

What is the Guildstrand mod? I'm want to go tubular front upper controll arms but have decided to get the car going and save it for this winter. When I do it should I do upper and lower, narrow or standard, with all the manufacturers which ones are good and which are junk? I have poly all around but how do greasable solids work or poly just fine? I have heard of the guildstand mod but what exactally is it?
Thanks,
Mike

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 03, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking

I think you mean "gulstrand". Do a search, and you will find lots of info. You don't need both the mod and new A-arms. Do one or the other.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 03, 11:11 AM

The Guldstrand 'mod' physically moves the upper control arm mounting location to a different location on the frame than that of the stock frame location. The movement in the location point is 0.900" downward and 0.250" rearward. this modification effectivly re-locates the front suspensions "Roll Center". (There have been many threads on the changes and effects of doing said modifications, you might want to do a search on this and prepare to sit back and read for an hour or so. There is a lot of info on this).

This mod will cost you noting but the time involved to preform the drilling of the holes and modification of upper control arm mounting plate (if you were to use stock control arms). You just need to download the template from Mr. Pozzi web page.

If you were to use Global West's control arms you will not have to preform any plate modification, just the re location of the holes if you want to do them. Doug Norrin (Pres of GW) states that it is un-necessary to preform the Guldstrand mod with his tublar control arms unless the car will be used for more agressive street driving, autocross or road racing. This doesnt mean that you shouldnt, the choice is up to you. With the GW arms you can do both the arms and the mod if you so wish. I myself would, but thats me. My 67 is aggressivly driven the entire time the engine is running......

The Detroit Speed Engineering control arms have their own 'location' modification. So if you were to use their control arms the Guldstrand mod would not be necessary, because they supply their own location points.

As far as changing the arm length, I wouldnt recommend that you change them.

So far the only "Real" choice is between the Global West and DSE products. Not too many others out there have products as good as GW or DSE. Global West sells upper and lower arms, where as DSE only sells the uppers at this time. They may in the future, but its not really necessary to change the lowers unless you run really big spring rates.....and I mean really big (like 1000 lb springs that you would use if at Talladega running 180+ MPH).

Bushings are or can be a critical choice. You need to ask yourself if you can live with a little more road noise and a very slight loss in ride quality (I have to laugh at that because the increase in handling totally offsets any loss in comfort to me). Both GW and DSE use solid bushings in their arms. You can get GW arms with poly installed if that is what you wish, but the soild bushings in the upper I think should be mandatory. The upper control arm controls the geometry and is not under the load like the lower control arm is and doesnt really effect ride quality.

If you wanted to play and tune the control arm geometry the DSE arms offer you the ability to change the caster bushings in the control arm. Not much there to play with, but you can pretty much do the same with the GW arms, it is just done differently. They both effectivly do pretty much the same thing, they are just two different companies with two different approaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode