'67 monoleaf to multileaf? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 01, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

What is the best way to get better handling in a '67 camaro? The car I want to buy has monoleafs, but as I've heard the '68 was better in handling because of the multileafs, is there a simple way (bolt-on multileafs for a '67)to replace the monoleafs with multileafs, or are there monoleafs with the same or better handling than stock mono-/multileafs? All the multileafs I've heard of are only for the '68 and up, none for the '67.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 01, 08:58 AM

Cool

if your'e not worryied about originality or price,i recommend the fiberglass mono springs offered by vette brakes out of florida. they don't wrap up when you get on the gas,and they eliminate the need for traction bars,and give a smooth ride and not weeken over time.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 01, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Lightbulb

Hotchkis (www.hotchkis.net)makes a kit that uses 3 leaf springs and is designed to replace the original monoleafs on '67 to '69 Camaros. Their kit lowers the rear from factory height about 1.5 inches. If I am not mistaken there are several other companies who make similar kits, some lowering some not. The Hotchkis conversion is not too difficult on a '68, I did mine a few months ago.

I would strongly suggest you buy the '67 multileaf shock mounting plates to go with the conversion. They are thicker than the monoleaf plates and wont bend when you torque the u-bolts down.

You may want to do a search on this site about the conversion, there are many posts on the subject!

Good luck!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 01, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Thanks fnoblitt,

I do not care about originality or price, but do you actually say that these fiberglass mono springs are as good as multileafs? My intentions are to get about 450 hp, are these suitable for that??

oops too fast, choptop also thanks and I'm going to check their site also.

David

[This message has been edited by DL (edited 11-25-2001).]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 03:22 PM

Cool

yea man,those fiberglass springs are way better than a multi replacement. check out vett brakes webb site and get there catalog they have a good write up about them in there. i'm currently running one of those glass springs on my 76 vette and it kicks the old multi leaf's butt !!smooth ride yet keeps me flat in the corners! fnoblitt 67 ssrs 3.73 posi 4spd !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 05:20 PM
Banned

Smile

Please do a search on the f/g mono-leaf springs b/c I don't think they will hold 450 hp! Better safe than sorry!! IMHO. pdq67

PS., and I woulda loved to have had the weight savings, too.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Smile

pdq67, I've just send an e-mail to Vettebrakes and Hotchkis and asked them if they could provide me with some tech specs of leafs for a '67 camaro, if they can hold such power etc.

Thanks for the advice!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech

I'm running the Vette Brakes fiberglass rear leafs on my '69. I like them a lot. They handle well, the ride is good (although the 45 series 17" tires make it a bit harsh) and they don't seem to have any problems with a lot of power. My new 400SB is rated via Desktop Dyno at over 515hp. Of course, that's at sea level with a perfect tune and here in Denver with my home tune job it's probably more like 425 - 450 but I don't have any problems at all. I hammered it hard the other day and dumped the clutch - the tires burned all the way through first gear but started hooking up gradually and there was no wheel hop at all.

I have no idea what the springs will do with over 450Hp and /or repeated hard launches and slicks. One member here reported that he had 2 sets delaminate lengthwise and ended up replacing them with steel multi-leafs. I think it depends on how you drive. For the average street driver that hotfoots it once in a while they're very good springs IMO. BTW - I also run 2" lowering blocks on mine and haven't had any problems.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 01, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Would these fiberglass leafs suitable for me when I have this in mind:

'67 camaro / +-400-450hp rear wheels / only driven during summer (june-sept) / every now and then a nice rubber burning experience / NO slicks / twice a week during summer a little "game" with the local youth and their "VW GTi's" and BMW's at the traffic lights / maybe once a month a little local street race / the rest of the summer just cruisin around and working on the car.

David

[This message has been edited by DL (edited 11-27-2001).]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 01, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Ok, I just received the two e-mails from hotchkins and vettebrakes, for those who are intrested:

Hotchkins:
David,
Our 2407C kit will offer you a 1.5" lowered multi leaf spring. It comes complete
with heavy duty shackles, bushings, u bolts and hardware. We build that spring
with a 3/4 length overlaod spring that helps traction. That is a great handling
spring for street use, but was not designed for drag racing. It will be suitable
for up to about 400 hp. The 2407c kit will offer everything that is needed to
adapt the spring to your mono leaf car.
Thanks,
Mark

Vettebrakes:
In reply to your E-Mail
At 400 HP there is no problems, above that we recommend you use Caltracs Traction bars to limit the torque to the spring. This has
been tested to 600 HP.
We would need to know what type of steel leaf you currently
have and your preferred ride height from stock to determine the
proper spring for your car. Also the type of driving and use of
your car. i.e. Drag race, slaloms, street?
Thank You for your inquiry
Robin

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 01, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Thumbs up

Looks like the same result either way you go! Adding traction bars to the springs may sacrifice some of the handling properties of the new springs (stiffens up the rear end).

If you are just cruising/ playing and not at the strip you should be o.k. with 400 to 450hp.

Did you ever get pricing on the two different springs? I know the Hotchkis kit is under $400 (US funds) without the shipping. That might help you decide which to use

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode