Which valve to use - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 03, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
Question

I have about completed my drum to disc conversion on my 67 camaro, but I have some questions about the proportioning valve and the metering valve. I got the brake system off a 69 GTO. Do I use the prop valve and the metering valve off of this set or can I use my existing prop valve? If I use the 69 GTO prop valve it has a metering valve also. I ordered a conversion brake line kit from In-Line Tube and I am not sure how to route these lines into the prop valve?? Anyone have a diagram I could use for this?

Thanks...

Kevin
67 Camaro rs
327/TH350/8.5" 10 bolt posi 3.73
Hotchkis springs all around

67 Camaro rs/350 HO(est. 401hp)/4L80E/8.5" 10 bolt 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 03, 03:32 PM
Tech Team

i used the original one from the 67 drum and its works fine....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 03, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech

the valves for drum/drum and disc/drum are supposed to be differently balanced. if you use the old one, you may have one axle lock up way sooner than the other on a hard stop. there is a pinch valve you can put inline to the rear brakes if you use the drum/drum valve, and you have to adjust it to have all 4 lock at the same time in a panic stop from high speed.

the disc/drum valve will install the same as the other, and will be balanced for the weight of the gto.
there are two lines which go into the top from the master cyl. the one for the front will have two outlets, the one for the back will have one outlet.
the disc/drum master cyl has a large resevoir for the front brakes, and a small resevoir for the rear.

all front lines will be 3/16" diameter line. the rear lines in and out of the valve might be 1/4" line. i cant remember for sure on the 'maro. that's how most cars are set, then back to 3/16" across the back axle.

sometimes you have to use the origional fittings on the new lines for the proper thread size to the master and combo valve.

hope this helps.

If I didn't learn it from my my mentors, I learned it as a result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode