spring perch question - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Question

Did a search and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm in the middle of going from mono to multi leafs. I am also bolting in C.E. Slide-a-links. I am using the mono leaf perches. What are my options for the locating bolt in the center of the perch?

If I drill a hole, how do I figure out the right location on the perch so that everything lines up?

Is it ok to make a spacer plate instead of drilling the perch? I'll be using the 1/2" U bolts that came with the CE units.

Chad

By the way, I am not using cushions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 08:45 PM
David Pozzi

If the rear axle is in the car, I'd make a spacer plate. Hotchkis has them, or make one. the hole goes in the middle of the plate.

If you make a longer plate, you can weld a piece of round stock to each end to hold the plate in place and it will add some strength to the whole assy. Otherwise the plate is not helping to center the spring.

Here is a side view of how it would go, except the plate needs to extend past the round stock, and you would weld it on each side of the round.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size-small; font-family: monospace;">
\_____/ perch
O___ ___O spacer plate

</pre>[/QUOTE]

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave! The axle is still in the car. I need to use a lowering block for the time being so, there's no room to weld on the extra pieces.

I do have a set of multi leaf perches here. I think I'll bolt everything together, take it to a rear end shop, have the springs de-acrhed, and the multi perches welded in with extra bracing. Seems like the most stable method.

Any opinions on that?

Chad

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 06:23 AM
Kevin

Chad, here is a set of spacers a buddy of mine made for my 69. I replaced worn out monos with 5 leaf multis. I used 4 u-bolts (2 per side) with the spacers between the perch and multi shock plates. You have to trim the edges of the upper spring rubber mount and cut the center nib to fit them into the mono perch, lower works as is. Worked fine, but I decided to go back the original monos, so they are available. Email me if interested. Kevin

There are inside supports to keep the tubes from crushing. They torque fine with out any crush.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Kevin,

Thanks for the pics. I'm not using the rubber cushions. I have some square tube and the tools to fabricate a pair of those pretty quick. Thanks for the offer, though. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] I'll have to measure and see if they'll work with the lowering blocks. Probably have to use two sections of tube.

Chad
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Swap is complete but I have a couple of questions.

Info first - OEM 5-leaf, Slide-A-Links, aluminum bushings in the leafs, poly in the frame rails, no cushions in the perches, 1.5" lowering blocks, 1/2" U-bolts, KYB shocks.

Ok. The rear end is located a bit farther forward than before. Are the locating bolts on multi leafs farther forward than where the mono leaf sits? It's not drastic but it's noticeable if you look. Also, the springs are NOT centered in the rear shackles. The fronts are centered, however (which is probably why the rears aren't).

Second, the car feels unstable - like it wants to oversteer. Right now I am attributing this to having the solid bushings in the rear along with stiffer shocks and springs. The front end has yet to be redone. I have KYB shocks for the front and Hotchkiss springs (2" drop). When they go in I'm hoping that will help solve the balance issue. Thoughts? David, Chicane67, anyone?

Thanks for the help guys,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode