tools for front suspension work - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 02, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Other than some tool or "method" to keep the coil springs from shooting out and hitting something, are there any other special tools needed to replace front suspension bushings and parts (like the pst kit, for example)?

I got the helm manual and was looking at the part on front suspension and it calls out several special tools for getting bushings out/in and doing other things. Are these really required or can one improvise with regular tools?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 02, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Spring compressor is the safest way, but you can get some chain to chain up the spring so it wont become a UFO. Pickle fork for seperating the ball joints...good sized hammer (3lb?)...lots of rags.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

[This message has been edited by Silver69Camaro (edited 01-30-2002).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 02, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

If you are going to press in your own bushings etc. you will need a big C clamp and a socket or piece of pipe to help drive in the parts. You might also need to fabricate some support members for the clamp and a-arms, so you may need access to a welder.

Everything else is pretty straight forward and can be done with normal tools.

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 01:53 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Lightbulb

If you are changing the pitman arm you will need a 1&5/16" socket. This socket is about one size larger than most people have. I bought a cheapo from Harbor Freight. Probably will never use it again....

Also, I highly recommend using a spring compressor. You can borrow one for free from any Autozone and keep it as long as you need it. Same thing for the pickle fork.

One last thing. Have LOTS of penetrating oil and patience. Good luck!

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech

Save yourself the aggravation and take the uppers and lowers to a parts store that will replace the bushings.

I replaced my own in my stock car and it was a PIA. When I did the front suspension on my 67, I took the new bushings and the suspension parts to the local parts store and had them replace it. Yeah, you pay them labor, but IMO it was worth it.

If you do go this route, don't piant them before you drop them off. They'll mess them up.

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech

Harbor Frieght has an internal spring compressor for $14. You can also pic up a pickle fork to seperate the ball joints. Then take the control arms to machine shop and have them blast clean, remove and install the bushings and ball joints.

If you want to, you can improvise with a bench vise and some "choice" sizes of pipe and angle iron spacers, to remove and install the bushings and ball joints but it is much easier with a press.

good luck,
Joe
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.

The reason I asked the question in the first place was to determine if the "PIA" factor was low enough that I would do it myself. I really like the idea of removing the uppers and lowers myself, then taking somewhere to have the bushings changed.

I really hate the thought of paying somebody to do simple stuff that I could do, but I don't mind paying somebody for something that has a high PIA factor.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

I like your approach nasadude! Always calculate the PIA Factor before beginning a project. My dad always mowed the lawn because he would only pay me 5 bucks to do it, and I figured the PIA Factor of mowing and edging for two hours was too high for just $5.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 02, 11:00 AM
Tech Team

My dad and I just replaced the front suspension on my 67. Took us 5 days. We probably wasted at least a day trying to remove and reinstall the control arm bushings and ball joints. Finally brought it to a shop and for $50 they did the job in an hour.
Also, the ball-joint stems were frozen in the spindles. We didn't have a torch to heat them up so we had to cut them out. That took up a good chunk of time, too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 02, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech

Air hammer/chisel in and out in minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode