Who's converted from manual drum brakes? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

I need your help please. I am looking for the switch that all the brake lines go to. This is the block mounted under the master cylinder that houses the brake pressure warning light. This switch was used on manual drum cars. I can't find it anywhere (mainly because I threw mine away thinking I wouldn't need it with my new brakes [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] ). I really need some help here.

Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 11:58 AM

Ken,

I have one on my 67 Firebird (manual drums). I'm going to sell the car but, if you think that block will work for you, you're welcome to it (the block, not the car ). Let me know if you want it.

Chad
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Spongebob,
I would really like the part. I am even willing to trade a brand new disc/disc prop valve I bought from Classic Performance for this piece. I just need to get this system put together. PLease let me know what you want. Otherwise, I will email my address. I can send a check, MO, or Paypal for any cost plus shipping.

Thanks
Ken

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 04:56 AM
Kevin

I'm confused

The brake loss switch block is the same for all 69 camaros, man drum, power drum, man disc and power disc. The round prop valve for front discs is an addition to that block (you need both). If you by a newer combo valve then the block and round prop valve functions are combined into one unit.

I know you need the block, but if you are going to run original type front discs you need the prop valve too.

Kevin

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 06:23 AM

Ken,

Check your mail. Hey, you can have the whole car in exchange for the Vette.

Chad
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Kevin,
I was confused as well, but after a lot of searching I found that the drum and four wheel disc cars did not use a prop valve. The round valve is a metering valve. It's job is to send pressure to the drums before the discs. The drums need more time to engage. The disc/drum cars also use a prop valve to regulate the pressure to the rear brakes. On the disc/disc and drum/drum cars, the proportioning is does with the relative size of the pistons (disc) and slave cylinders (drum). For these cars, there is only a junction block/switch. I actually bought an aftermarket prop valve, but it doesn't work with the correct JL8 brake lines. If you have an assembly manual, look under the stock drum setup, and RPO J50/J52/JL8 to set the differences.

Chad, Thanks for the offer on the Vette, but I, and the wife, are pretty fond of that car.

Really though, thanks for the switch.

Ken
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 09:22 AM
Kevin

Ken, Yes I know the components to the different braking options, but I was just confused on what you were trying to get to. Since I found out you are going to 4 wheel discs, trading the prop valve for a junction box is a good deal. If the deal with Chad falls through, you can drop me a line, I think I have an extra 69 one.

I actually have a front JL8 hose bracket to go on ebay in the future.

The metering valve was put in place on the power discs (front only), cause they found out that on wet roads the auto matic cars would still spin the rear drums. Then they put the metering valve in to hold back some pressure in the rears. On manual cars, its not an issue. I plan on gutting my metering valve and use it just for appearance for my 4 spd SS.

Kevin

Kevin

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Kevin,
Well, I was really confused and this just came to me yesterday; about 2 seconds before I realized I threw out the one that was on the car. Everything was so full of rust, and I knew I was converting to disc, I figured it was no good.

Thanks for the offer, I will let you know. However, if I were you, I would hold onto that piece. I haven't found one place that sells them.

Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode