Hotckis front springs. Do they settle? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I finally got some wheels on my car and took it for a little spin. I'm running Hotchkis springs in the front and rear, and the car sits to high in the front. I'd like the car to come down about 2 more inches. I hope the springs settle some. If not, I guess I'll have to cut them, but that's why I got these because I didn't want to.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 05:11 PM
Tech Team

Mark, are those the 2" drop springs? Did it drop the car this much from what it was. Mr. Pozzi what is the verdict on these springs? Will they settle?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yeah they're the 2" drop spings. They don't look like drop springs to me at all. I took some pictures of it, I'll post them tomorrow if I get a chance.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Rob

I put the 2" drop springs on my car a month or two ago and have a pic on the front of my web site. It does sit lower than the old springs and is exactly where I wanted it.

Rob

------------------
Rob Rice
[email protected]
http://home.attbi.com/~racrrob
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 06:46 PM
David Pozzi

I think they will settle some. Did you happen to measure the free height on them before installing them?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech

I just put these springs in my 67 and I noticed the difference after I drove the car a couple of times. I hope you don't have to cut them to get the stance you want, it always sucks when you have to "alter" brand new parts
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 11:34 PM
Senior Tech

Are you sure you got the springs right in their upper and lower pockets? I find it hard to install them, because they was sliding around over ther pockets all the time. But when i got it right and then lowered the car i couldt even pull out the floor jack, so i really hope mine doesnt settle more.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

David, no I didn't measure them.

Magnus, I'm pretty sure I got them in the spring pockets correctly. I had someone help me during that operation. The end of the spring lined up with the upper and lower notch.

Yeah, I don't really want to cut them. If I was going to cut springs, I could of bought the Moog for about half the price.

The thing about my car that may be different, is my car is a big block and I'm using their big block springs. I'll try to post the pics tonight when I get home.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech

I just installed Hotchkis front and rear on a big block application, and have the exact same issue. Definitely higher in the front, and beyond my liking. I would be interested in what Hotchkis has to say, they must have sold alot of these by now, people must be calling them to complain. I am wondering if coils settle more than leafs, this may be the reason they come like that new from Hotchkis.

Is there a general rule regarding how much to clip to get a desired drop in ride height?

Mark

------------------
69 SS, Stroker 489, Tremec TKO, Tight Road Suspension
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've always heard the cutting one coil will drop about 2". But there are alot of variabls like since the coil is flat on the end, will cutting the flat part off lower it 2"? What about how spring rate relates to it? Things like that. I do like the way the back springs sit though. I think I'll call Hotchkis and see what they have to say.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I called Hotckis. They said to make sure the spring is seated correctly in the spring pocket. Or get the number off of it and see if it's the correct spring. Both of which I don't have to much confidence in being the right answer.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech

I agree, sounds like a dead end. I will add this, I orignally had a small block in the car but decided to put the rat into it midway through the project. I have a brand new set of small block springs from Hotchkis, and compared them to the big block versions when I got them. The wire gauge is definitely bigger on the big block springs, but the free height looked pretty similar. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time, not expecting to have an issue with it.

One question I had about my setup was that I don't have a hood on the car yet, as I am still completing the engine swap (hopefully finished this weekend, what a nightmare). In addition, I have aluminum heads, which weigh quite a bit less. I thought that maybe this was responsible, but the math doesn't add up. The spring rate is likely to be around 600 lb/in, the hundred or so pounds of less weight on my car could not "lift" the car up that much.

I think we're going to hacking springs, my friend.... By the way Mark, nice car!

Mark

------------------
69 SS, Stroker 489, Tremec TKO, Tight Road Suspension
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yeah, it does look like we are going to be cutting these things. I'm going to call Hotchkis and tell them they better re-think these things. I don't think they drop the car at all over stock springs. Maybe they'll refund me the money or something. I still plan on posting some pics when I get a chance and I'll send some to Hotchkis too. I seriously want the car down another 2".
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 02, 03:07 AM
Senior Tech

Maybe you ask Hotchkis to swap them for SB springs?

How much more does a BB with aluminum heads weigh than a SB with iron heads?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 02, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech

I used the SBC Hotchkis inch drop coils in the front and they lowered the frontend nicely and after six months of use do not appear to be sagging at all. Better check the seat on those springs and the part number.

good luck

bob spears

------------------
http://www.racehome.com/images/camaros/bspearslfront-sm.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode