275/40/17 Drag Radials. Will they handle Okay?? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I am getting ready to start on my 600hp engine swap soon. My back tires are 275/40/17 Z rated tires, they are completely bald, and it is time for new tires. With my new motor, I should be making more power than i can handle. I am thinking that some drag radials might help a little harnessing the power, i don't want to be spinning tires at 60mph+. My question is, how bad will my handling be affected by running these drag radials opposed to Z rated tires(if i run them on the street with full psi) and how much traction will these drag radials give me compared to the other tires, if any at all?? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 03:09 PM
Senior Tech

I'm running 275/40 17 Nitto drag radials. I think they handle just as good or better then a normal radial. And they hook way better.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 03:13 PM

There's nothin like a 4000 mile tire for street use !!

For that kinda money I'd run some of the harder compound Kuhomo autocross/road race tires.......you might even get 10k out of them.......

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech

People are getting close to 15,000 miles on the 555r. Mine still look good, and they've turned over quite a bit, [img]smile.gif[/img] .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

How would the autocross tires hook? would they react well to almost 600 ibs of torque? I know i won't get a dead hook, but I do need something better than a radial, thanks! also, what is the difference between the bfgoodrich's and the nitttos?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 03:14 PM

The only real difference between a drag and an autocross radial tire, is the sidewall construction. The tread compound is basically the same, but the autocross/road race tires are available in different compounds, unlike the drag radial.

In simple terms, they hook just as hard as a true 'drag' radial but they handle a little better as well.

I used to run BFG TA R-1's for street tires. They hook very well out of the hole, but looking at both mentioned tires, neither of them will 'dead hook'. The real nice thing about them is that they are available in different compounds for 'endurance' racing which basically means they are a little harder durometer but stick like glue when heated up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

sorry to sound incompetent. but would you be able to recommend a specific tire for my application? I have no experience with the autocross tires! thanks again, also i guess an autocross tire would be better according to your description because i figure if what you say is true than getting a drag radial in my tire size with such a low profile would be useless because i doubt there would be any tire "wrinkle" so i might as well go with a autocross?? If the price of the "autocross tires" are much more than the drag radial I will probalby go with the drag radial. but if not I would love to hear your suggestion!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 07:49 PM

Well there are a few considerations.

But it would be best to start here .

Click on all of the manufacturers and select 'Max Performance Summer' and 'Competition'. It will give you the run down on the latest available tires that meet that requirement. Mind you that most of these tires have a tread wear of around 50......they are not the longest lasting shoes for your ride, but they will definately hook up.

The drag radial and the tires used for autocross/road race are of the same tread wear rating, so I myself have sen and heard of them lasting 4000 to 15000 miles.....depending on how much and how hard you drive your car.

I am still lookin for a product sheet that I got last season that has all the spec on it for the available harder compound autocross/road race tires. If I find that I could make a better recommendation......

I'll let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode