bench bleeding - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I just did a search on brake bleeding and found alot of threads that mention bench bleeding the m/c. What is bench bleeding and how is that done?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 10:48 PM
Senior Tech

Its the process to remove all air from the master cylinder before installing onto in the car, usually at an angle trapping air inside.
Most new master cylinders ($25 at kragen) will COME with a free bench bleeding kit so you bleed it. Basically its two plastic connectors for the two outlets and some tubbing to run the fluid back into the cylinder, then while locked in a vise you pump it a bunch of times until no more bubbles and then some. hook it onto the firewall, fill up the mc the rest of the way, connect up the real brake lines.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 04:15 AM
Guess

Brian, I've been wondering the same thing because I'm almost ready to put my brakes together.

I've never bench bled one but it sounds like you can do it on the car. Just keep the resevoirs full and pump the brake pedal slowely. Does that sound right? I guess that way you can avoid spilling fluid while installing the MC. Then remove the tubes and hook up the brake lines. But I can't see how you'd avoid spewing fluid from the MC while changing connections. Will it just drip a little from the ports, if at all? It takes pumping action to force the fluid through the ports, right?
Thanks!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 06:33 AM

Pumping action, yes.

It will have a slight drip with the lid on but remember to cover the small hole in the cover if it has one. This will not allow amb. air to leak in and allow it to pour out the fittings. If it is sealed, the vaccume effect will help retian the fluid in the cylinder in the master.

This can be done on the car, but you may not get full excursion of the piston and some air might be retained. If on the bench you can actuate it till it bottoms out, which would get more of the air out. But it can be done. I have done it a few times with success but it may require a few more bleed cycles once on the road to get the rest of the air out as is settles in the system.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 07:16 AM
Senior Tech

I do not recommend doing it on the car unless you can get the rear end HIGH ENOUGH to allow the MC to be perfectly horizontal!! Else air WILL get trapped in the front most part of the piston that is above the hole on the stroke and thus you could have problems or not perfect brakes. I recently bought a new MC ($25 you can't go wrong) and bench bled it and installed it. Definitely the way to go. $25 for a newly rebuild MC is nothing when it comes to safety!!

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 07:50 AM
Guess

Ah! Thanks guys. I didn't take into account the amount of piston travel in the two setups, or the angle.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Watch out! If you bench bleed and shove the piston in too deep or too hard you can damage the rubber seals in the master cyl, especially on dual diameter master cylinders. It really is better to do the bench bleed thing on the car. So you gotta jack the car way up, or take the front tires off, or some combination of both. The results are worth the time. Being an 'old fart', I'm lazier than most of you, but I'm really to lazy to have to do a job twice.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 10:13 AM

Oh yeah, angle. I forgot, people actually still use vaccume assisted power brakes......... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 08-08-2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: chicane67 ]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 10:15 AM
Guess

Question

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 01:50 PM

How far should the piston be pushed?
Dan
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
I have followed the many bench bleeding threads and it was interesting that the MP disc brake kit I installed called for bench bleeding after installing the MC on the car.

They provided 2 plugs for the MC and the directions said to plug the 2 outputs on the MC with the plugs, fill the MC and slowly pump the brakes until there were no more air bubbles in the MC.

It worked for me and I have a great pedal feel.

-Funk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode