Fast steering Pitman Arm - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 01, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I ordered A pitman arm for my 68'and previously thought that all had the same splines. i knew that there were diferent lengths but didnt know if i had the 5 1/4(slow) or the 5 3/4(fast) so anyways i ordered one from summit for a nice $51 and it came in a jiffy. As i took my old one off i found that the new one was shorter , And it didnt fit onto the steering box, i have P.S.( Its hole was too small) Then i measured my old one, it was 5 3/4. So that means that i have the fast steering option correct? when i tried to expain to the summit guy that theres two differnt lengths, he wouldnt get it. so is there any place to find a nice quality 5 3/4 pitman for a good price? thanks

------------------
68'Pro-touring 5.0 Killer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Sounds like they sent you a pitman arm for a manual box. I think I would call Summit back and ask that they exchage it for the right part-at no additional cost to you for the shipping. The Moog part number is K6582 for the long power steering arm.
http://www.carparts.com/parts/sample...rtnum=NONE&dc=

As far as I know, the short pitman isn't available (at least through the parts stores-maybe through Classic Camaro). I got a long pitman a couple weeks ago from Advance Auto for $62 with tax. They had one in stock. It's a TRW piece and it's listed as part number 18770 and 5.78 in long center to center.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 01, 08:22 AM
David Pozzi

I bought the long PS one from Carparts.com. It took about 10 days to arrive. If you want it faster check your local parts store. Their listings may be out of date and not show it yet, but use the part numbers below and it should work.

I have some more info and part numbers on my steering page linked to my suspension page below.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 11-20-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode