Bent Control Arm problem...Help - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Red face

I have been disassembling my 68's front end and have discovered a problem. I had trouble geting the driver's lower control arm out of the frame. Beat on it with a dead blow hammer a couple of times and it finally came out.

The forward end of the control arm is really bent (as is the pocket in the frame). When comparing drivers side arm to the passenger side arm there is at least a 1/2" gap at the front bushing where the bend is.

Not only is the frame attachment point bent but the holes for the bolt either got torn (in an impact) or were slotted slightly and washers were tacked onto the outside of the frame to create "new" bolt holes.

Obviously I need a new lower control arm, but how do I get the frame fixed so it will fit properly? The front end is completely apart now, do I have to reassemble all this crap and limp over to the frame shop?

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 08:09 AM
David Pozzi

front and rear holes for the A frames should be in line with each other. This should tell you where the front holes should be located by lining the rear up using a piece of bolt sized rod slipped through the rear holes.
You might be able to hammer the flange back into proper location, then cut out a hole and insert a washer in the hole and weld it in flush. An alternative would be to weld a washer on the outside like was allready done. This may not give a good seat for the bushing.
See if you can locate a portable welder that can do the job as a fill in job and maybe give you a cut on the rate if you don't mind being flexable on waiting for him to come.
Take a photo of the damage to show him to give him something to think about how to fix it.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Exclamation

Thanks David...I was beginning to get really concerned about how to get this fixed. The bolt sized rod is a great idea for lining up the new holes.

I just hope that I can hammer the flange back into place without too much difficulty. I was thinking of slipping the passenger lower control arm (upside down of course) next to the proper locations of the pockets to get an idea of how far I need to bend the front flange.

Any recommendation as to the hammering procedure? I have a heavy sledge hammer and plenty of wood scraps etc. at my disposal.

Thanks again...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 10:57 AM
David Pozzi

Kinda hard to say from my vantage point. If you have much dificulty hammering, leave it for the welding guy to heat up with a torch.
Move any burnable components out of the area before he gets there, like the battery cables, lower radiator hose etc, if they are near where the heat is applied.

Check with local welding supply companies for a line on a portable welding service. With any luck, you can find a car type guy who will go easy on you if you are flexable on timing of the job. If he can do it when he is returning from a job in the area, he should be able to do it cheap. Maybe for the ol' six pack of beer deal!
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Wink

I like the sound of that ! I have a friend with a portable welder- if he can't do it he may know someone else who can.

Thanks again David, I'll let everybody know how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode