help with front end shimmy - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

I have a shimmy at high speeds. 0 to 70 is smooth as silk, however 71mph to 80mph or 85mph the shimmy is present (not bad all the time) at times worse than others. The steering wheel shakes left to right (not up and down) i can exceed 90mph and out run the shimmy! smooth as silk @>90mph.

New upper and lower (poly) bushings (6mos), new upper and lower ball joints (year). New pitman and idler arm 2 mos).

no visible loosness in the front suspension.
any ideas? replace ties ( probably orignal)

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech

prob'ly tires or just wheel balance.

If I didn't learn it from my my mentors, I learned it as a result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech

Most likely wheel balance. Aside from that, if the suspension linkage and ball joints are all in good shape, then the other possiblity is your steering gear box is worn and needs the lash adjusted to compensate for its age. It's a simple adjustment process that you should be able to read up on in any service manual (i.e. Chiltons)

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 06:36 AM
tim
Senior Tech

I know you fellows probably don,t want to hear this BUT, I have a 65 mustang conv [you know for the wife and me to cruise around in on sunday afternoons] and if she is happy well YOU know what that means. Anyway the mustang shimmy,s also at about 53-59 mph and then it is gone also.I have noticed that it seems to do it worse on a long straight road that has alot of crown in it.I have gauged the tires up and that seem to help but it is still there, I have had the tires balanced 2 or 3 times and the front end aligned twice, any ideas.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 09:41 AM
Team Member
John

Chevrolet used to call this phenomenon "smooth road shake", which can occur even with a perfectly-balanced tire. It results from a combination of lateral runout and radial out-of-round in the tire and radial force variation in the tire due to the location of belt caps and joints when the tire was built (which is why modern car wheels are marked for their high point of radial force variation and the tires are marked at their low point, and the two marks are aligned when the wheel and tire are mounted at the assembly plant).

The Hunter GSP-9700 wheel balancer has the capability to identify and diagnose both axial and radial runout, and the point of maximum radial force variation as well; use the link below for a locator for a dealership or shop in your area that has the GSP-9700, and let them do their thing - you won't believe the difference!

http://www.gsp9700.com/
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode