Rear disc brakes. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I was at the local yard today pilfering a Nova for sub frame and e brake parts and noticed a 89 Camaro with rear discs will they work on a 12 bolt? I beleave it was 9 bolt? Anyway I aslo notice some other rear disc cars there. What rear discs will bolt to a 12 bolt? Than what all will I need to get?

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 10:51 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Mike,
Ahhh, the good old Aussie 9 bolt 3rd gen. rear end. There were two rear disc brake setups (that I'm aware of) during the '82-'92 F-body run.
</font>
  • 1LE PBR C4 "style" setup</font>
  • Cast Iron Caliper setup (Moraine)</font>
Last time I looked at a cast iron caliper setup (Moraine), I don't think the axle flange was the same pattern as our traditional Chevy bolt pattern was. Its been a year or two since I've fooled with this setup in the 'yard.

The 1LE setup is very rare! It uses a PBR C4 style caliper and rotor. There was a guy over on Team Chevelle that posted about scoring this setup in a junkyard, but I was under the impression you could only get this setup on a 1LE car

If you want rear discs, I would suggest the 4th gen. f-body PBR setups. The '93-'97 uses another C4 PBR style caliper and rotor while the '98-'02 setup uses the C5 style caliper, e-brake and rotor design.

Backing plates from www.gmpartsdirect.com can be had for $25 a side for the '93-'97 setup and about $13 a side for the third gen. setup.

Check out Torker's website for his '93-'97 F-body rear disc swap: http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html

Good luck,
Joe
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 03, 10:12 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremy

all 89-92 camaros came with the pbr aluminum caliper setup and yes, they will fit onto both the 10 bolt and 12 bolt rearends. it`s a direct fit. the only modification is to the brake hard line and to the parking brake cables. I have this exact setup on my 67 camaro now.

67 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode