Need help with QA-1 Coilover Shocks! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 03, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
V8
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

How low(max) QA-1 coilovers do they drop the car??? DO they raise it above stock height if ever needed by any chance???

What mods do I have to make to fit fit them in the front? Can I use the stock lower control arm??

Also, for the rear can i run coilovers with leaf springs or do they replace the leaf springs completely?? I'm currently installing a DSE min-tub kit.

Its a 67 Convertible F-body. I wish to lower it 2-3 inches...with the flexibility to easily raise it when needed.

Thanks, Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 01:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Chris;
I don't have the exact amount number for raising or lowering a first gen Camaro - I think it depends on your tire/wheel combo as well as the Coilover conversion.

I installed two of the QA-1 shock kits so far - one on a '67 and one on a '69. They bolted right on and I only remember some slight filing or grinding on one set of lower A-arms to clear the lower end of the shock. The other set used GW tubular arms and no mod.s were needed.
The GW equiped car was adjusted pretty low originally and the owner has since changed the tire/wheel combo and didn't say anything about trouble adjusting higth with the new combo.

I think they are a pretty good modification if you need (or want) to make ride adjustments to your car. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
V8
Senior Tech

Thanks, was it for the front only or did you add coilovers in the rear also??

Did you retain the leaf springs as well or did the leaf springs come off??

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 07:29 PM

The easiest thing to do in the rear would be to run adjustable qa1 shocks. Those and a set of lowering leaf springs (Global West, Detroit Speed) and your set. Coilovers would require a 4 bar/link setup similar to Stielow's Mule (read: alot of custom work to make it handle good).

Good luck,
Tom

P.S. I plan on going with the same setup in the future (when I have $$). Global West A-arms and leaf springs and Qa1's front and back.

'69 RS Camaro
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 07:33 PM

It is also recomended that you reinforce the stock lower A-arm when using coilovers. The Global West arm is already reinforced.

Tom

'69 RS Camaro
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 03, 07:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Chris;

Those were front only - haven't done QA-1 Coilovers in rear yet on a car.

Have heard of recommendation for reinforcing the stock lower arm if the car is used in comp. or a BBC is installed. I haven't seen a problem in the SB with stock arms yet - something to watch for though.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 03, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
V8
Senior Tech

What about a hydraulic air suspension? How come you seldom hear about it when it comes to the pro-touring scene??? Too pricy? Unreliable? Not durable/tight enough for racing??
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

hey guys,
what's a good (cheap but reliable) source for the coil over kit?

Aka Eugene<br />68SS350
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech

Bags are not really a consideration for a performance application. My Roommate has a 65 Chevelle with bags on it and it just rolls around the corners......even with a fairly large 'sway-bar' and stiff shocks. The volume to pressure varies with the compression of the suspension.....it has a nice ride and its a great performance "cruzer".....but for something that needs to turn a corner, they are a waste.

If anyone wants a complete bag suspension (4 bags, 2 tanks, 2 pumps, guages and switches etc.) let me know. We are gonna yank it out and throw some real parts at it. He wants to take it to the local AutoCross and road corse tracks with me when I go.......

Although, it pretty damn funny to be driving down the freeway at speed next to people and when they look over at you to just dump the car to the rails.......something you normally dont see on a muscle car.

FYI, those of you that are considering the use of QA1's, remember to go lighter on the spring rate than you would if you used other shocks......like no more than 550lbs/175lbs (F/R) or you will likely only be able to use about three of the adjustment settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode