12 bolt swap......wrong rear end - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

I purchased a (rebuilt)12 bolt w/ Eaton posi, Moser axles, Richmond 3.73 gears from ET Automotive in Garland, TX a few weeks ago (very nice work)for my 69. I was getting all parts ordered for the swap and brakes to be redone. I finally got my parts in and the old rear end out. i was doing some measuring and the new 12 bolt was about 2 inches wider than the 10 bolt AND measuring the perchs, i found the width was 3 inches wider than the leafs. I know this is not right. I took all the numbers off the axle and searched the web....found it was a 1970 12 bolt....i believe it was for a Camaro, or maybe not, but i found the info on f-body.com. i called ET Automotive but the main guy was not there and am waiting a call back (he is never there).
What can be done with this rear-end? Do the perches have to be cut off and moved? Different 12 bolt totally? It is wider, but will the 2 inches matter? I think if the perches lined up it would be okay. I spent $1400 for this thing and it was supposed to be for a 69 Camaro (so i was told). I am not a welder, and if anything is done to it it should be done by ET Automotive...they sold me a direct bolt in for my 69. Without knowing what the guy will say when he calls me (if he calls me)...Hope i didn't just get screwed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

At the very least the spring pads will have to be moved to the correct location. This has to be done by a qualified person and they would have to pay for it. The other problem is that you've lost an inch per side and if you already have wheels you were going to use they will probably stick out too far. If you haven't purchased wheels yet then you could add an inch of backspacing to get back where you should be.

If it was me, they made the mistake and I would want the correct rear end for my car.

Jody
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech

I'd send it back...tell them them to send you a 69 rear. I believe you're looking for the 860 NF on the differential (someone else could tell you what the exact code is). Tell ET to swap out the parts from the wrong 12 bolt to a correct one.

Even if you re-weld/relocated spring perches you're still an inch too long on each side which would require wheels with with wild off-sets which would limit your choices and would be hard on wheel bearings.

My opinion...but then I'm known to be hard on suppliers...if it ain't right, I'm sending it back and raising hell.

Good luck with this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech

they made the mistake, and they should fix it. make them pay the shipping both ways, and make them get it done fast. it is your right as a consumer, and in their best interest to take whatever steps are necessary to make it right.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys!!
I talked with the guy this morning and he was more than helpful. He said he thought he measured the rear and thought it was for a 69. He said he would re-weld the perches or find and rebuild me another rear-end. Not sure what do do here. I have seen alot of topics on here where people hav used different rearends and had to re-weld the perches. I remeasured this morning and found the 10 bolt to be 54 1/2" and the 12 bolt to be 55 1/2"
The guy wanted me to bring both rear ends back (he is local) so he could get the correct measurements. The perches were 3 inches off, so about 1 1/2 inches per side....i think.

This is only 1/2 inch per side....I have not ordered any wheels for it yet, i was waiting to get everything installed and measure properly. This 1/2 inch per side would mean i would have to get an extra 1/2 inch backspacing on the wheels...correct? Do you guys think i should just stick with the 12 bolt with the re-welded perches and 1 inch difference, or have him build the correct 12 bolt. This is not even close to a numbers matching car, so that is not a problem.

Comments......
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech

I would try to stick to the stock dimensions if possible, if only for future reference.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 02:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I think you paid enough to have it right. Why order special wheels just to deal with the situation. I don't think I would take the 10 bolt to him. That kinda says, "okay see if you can make it work". I'd ask how long before he could supply you with the correct rear and if that doesn't seem reasonable then ask for a refund. Sounds like your being nice about it but you'll have to be firm as well. If the guy builds rear ends on a regular basis he will sell this one soon enough, so don't feel like you've left him with the short end of the deal.

------------------
Robert Johnson

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
350ci 700r4 3.55 posi
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 03:13 AM
Banned

Please consider this in all your rearend woe's.

You might want a 1967, 12 bolt rearend b/c if I am not mistaken they are slightly narrower then the 1969 which would allow you to play some with wheel backspace and max. tire size centering in the the wheel well.

Otherwise should fit fine with the correct rearend spring perches, (mono vs multi type), on it, since he is going to have to make it up anyway

Or am I all wet here guy's! Any and all, please comment. pdq67

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech

i believe the rears were the same from 67-69, width wise. only the spring mounting perches changed, but only to put multi leafs on starting in 68.
for future reference, if anyone does need to change the spring mounts on the the rear, you should do what i did. it makes the spring swap thing a lot easier than the factory mounts do.
see it here
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...9538qHHArsXMMo

355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 02-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 02-22-2002).]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 05:43 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Is this the pic you wanted?

Note: If the pic doesn't display right click on it then left click on view image. You'll get an error screen then hit the back button. I can't stand some of these free hosts!!!
------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 02-22-2002).]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech

yeah, i couldn't get it to work. i got the link working now, but you got the pic to post.. it wouldn't allow it to happen for me.. i have never been able to get any of my pics to post like that, so i have had to link to them. i hate technology.

------------------
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech

I run the those spring perches on my 67 and stock car. Makes things alot easier!

------------------

Dean

Racer#00

67 Camaro (Almost done!)
76 Trans Am Stock Car
68 Dodge D-100 P/U
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 10:42 AM
Banned

Or is what I was talking about just for Big Brother (I.e., Early and later Chevelles)? pdq67

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 02, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech

Ok here's my two cents!I have a 67.It is 54 1/2 wide.10 bolt. Brougth 12 bolt 55 1/2 wide set up for muilt leafs.Perches wielded inperfect.What I was told was a 12 bolt is wider.Got it from a well know speed shop!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 02, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys....first of all thanks for all the information...it helped. A few pics of my car are here http://photos.yahoo.com/huskerman28

I finally got the 12 bolt in, the Bilstein shocks (metric....damn Germans), the traction bars, took a leaf out.....still got the old treads and wheels though....still got to put the rear brakes back together. Just letting the suspension settle a little.
Notice i still have a small gap in the pearch to leaf area....i hope this is good. I have only 1 problem which will be a pain in the rear. Both sides of the leafs traction bar nubs seem to be not in the middle of the leaf, but toward the outside. I cannot get the u-bolt that goes toward the front of the leaf on because of this. I could loosen all the nuts (70ftlbs torque...yuck) and try to get them to move a little, but not sure how much it will go.
Anyone have this problem? I dont show a good pic of it.....will try later.

I am planning on wheels, tires, front disc brake upgrade, and removal of the mud flaps in the near future....after NASCAR race so i have more money. Let me know what you guys think!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode