Replacing Front Drums with Disc Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I know several of you out there can help me with this one...so please reply.
I need to know the best way to replace the front drum brakes on my 69 camaro with power disc brakes. Should I try to find a used set from a car (say a nova or similar type car in that time frame) or should I purchase new parts.
I want to perform well but not be to costly...So the most economical way to do this would help, but all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the help.

Bret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
I am in the middle of converting my 67 camaro from drum to disc brakes. I was lucky and had a set off of a 69 GTO given to me. I still needed to get new calipers, new disc pads, master cylinder and power booster along with new wheel bearings. It still didn't cost me as much as the kits available, but its alot more work gathering the parts together. The kits are pretty much from what I hear ready to bolt right on, which makes it much easier. I am wondering further into my conversion if I will need new brake lines and metering block, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Good Luck!

Kevin
67 Camaro rs
327/TH350/8.5" 10 bolt 3.73
Hotchkis Leafs and drop coil springs

67 Camaro rs/350 HO(est. 401hp)/4L80E/8.5" 10 bolt 3.73
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech

Roll Tide! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] (I'm assuming your an Alabama fan. I went to school there. Great place.)

I'm going with the late model camaro upgrade on my 68 Camaro. So far I have $225.00 in my conversion. Only thing left is some machining work and a master cylinder and I'll have mine ready. Just another option.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech

Sorry to break in here guys, but I'm hoping one of you can help me. I need the brake switch assy from a manual drum car. This is the block mounted just under the master cylinder that all the brake lines go into and the brake warning switch. I am in the middle of putting four wheel discs on my car, and this is the last piece I need. For economical front disc brakes, check David Pozzi's site out, or Master Power brakes.

Thanks
Ken

69 RS, 427, 4-spd<br />69 Corvette Coupe, 427, 4-spd
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 11:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

You talking about the prop valve?

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech

From what I can tell, it's not a prop valve, simply a pressure warning switch. It has two lines coming in and three going out. It comes on four wheel drum cars and JL8 cars.

Thanks
Ken

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 03:45 AM
Guess

It's not a proportioning valve. There's scads of them in the junkyard as most cars were drum brake cars back then.
Ken, you must be switching from manual drum to manual disc?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 04:02 AM
Kevin

Bret, don't forget power drums as an economical and easier swap, you don't have to mess with the wheels. If all your other components are in good shape, you just need to buy a booster and matching power (disc) master (under $200 at any NAPA, etc.). Then hook them up to your existing system. Performance is in-between man drums and power disc. BTW I run it on mine and I can lock them up anytime.

Kevin

Kevin

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech

I am switching to power four wheel discs. This is the same exact setup that came stock on the Vette. All the proportioing is done with the piston size. In fact, the brake pads are the same front and rear, but the front calipers use MUCH larger pistons than the rear. So, for the same pressure, the front apply more force. The same concept applies to the manual drum setup, and this swithc is common between them. It's the last piece I need to get this car on the road.

BamaFan,
Have you decided on a kit. I have less than $1000 in my conversion to four wheel discs, and they will fit under stock wheels. As you can see, it's not a simple bolt on, but I can help you with the details like this switch. Sorry again for getting in your thread, but I was hoping one of these guys converting could help me. Let me know if you have questions about the four wheel discs.
Thanks
Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode