need help/advice on brake install - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I want to get a front disk brake kit installed on my 68 camaro (currently had drums all around). Car has 15" American Racing wheels.

I will say right off the bat I am not up to the task of doing this myself - don't have the knowledge, don't have the tools, don't have the space. However, I have done lots of research on what brakes would be good and what will fit. I originally wanted a baer kit, but I downloaded the brake templates to fit check and the brakes I want will not fit with these wheels. My second choice is the Stainless Steel Super Duty Brake kit; although not a guaranteed fit, I have talked to SS and they said they have never had a problem with 15" AR wheels.

Here's my dilemma: the place I am talking to about installation is telling me it will take about 9 hours of labor to install a manual front disc brake kit! No power, no drop spindles. Does it really take this long to install this kit? Labor rates are high around here (about $70/hr) so we're talking more than $600 for installation!
Anyone with experience doing this, please post how long it took. If it really does take that long, I may learn how to do it myself. I can buy a lot of tools for $600!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 03:13 PM
Banned

Smile

Let's see?
1. Jack up car and support good (finding everything is a drag).--30 minutes.
2. Pull both front tires off (by hand) and place outta the way (under the car!). -- 10 minutes.
3. Pull both drums, hubs and backing plates off. -- 60 minutes(?).
4. Pull both spindles off(use chain and floor jack) and respective steering arms. -- 120 minutes(?).

5. Reinstall springs(use spring compressor), spindles, caliper brackets and steering arms. -- 120 minutes(?).
6. Install rotors and hubs, adjust nut torque, install calipers and hoses. -- 30 minutes(?).
7. Bench bleed your new master cylinder. -- 10 minutes.
8. R&R master cylinder for a new one. -- 30 minutes.
9. Plumb for a prop. valve to rear brakeline(one of the trips to town??). -- 60 minutes(?).
10. Fill master cylinder and bleed all brakes. -- 20 minutes(?).
11. Mount tires. -- 10 minutes.
12. Drop car to ground and double-check everything before moving your car. -- 5 minutes. (just throw everything outta the way for now!).

Now for the good part!!
13. Factor in time that you will need because both front hardlines twisted off and had to be replaced. 4 hours or more!
14. As well as those "Trips" to the parts store that ALWAYS happen, regardless of how well thought out your plan is! -- 2 hours!

How many hours now? 14.5 hours! Wow, how far off am I, guy's??

To me, it's a good weekender! pdq67

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
John

9 hours seems like a pretty decent estimate to me.

Hey, as far as brakes go... I am running a kit from www.aerospacecomponents.com out of Florida. It uses 4 piston calipers and 11'' rotors. Everything is billet aluminum and fits stock drum spindles. I am running 16'' AR Torque Thrust II wheels, but they guys at Aerospace said these brakes would probably fit 15'' wheels. Check out some pics on my site.
www.geocities.com/boodlefoof

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech

?? Do they come with new spindles?
I installed my BAER kit in 2 hours. I suppose that 9 hours is ok if you have to pull spindles out, but i seem to think it could be done in less time.
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/1968_Camaro/Tyler_Beauregard/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/1968_Camaro/Tyler_Beauregard/5050.htm" TARGET=_blank>
50/50
</A>
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

pdq67:

The stainless steel brake kit bolts on the stock spindles, so that gets rid of #4 & 5 right? That's 4 hrs.

As for #13 & 14, you got that right, but I figure a shop will have everything they need right there; **** will happen no matter what, but let's say it only sets back the "pro's" 1 hr. That saves another 5 hrs.

So now you got 14.5 - 4 - 5 = 5.5 hrs

I could live with that; that's around how long I expected them to say it would take.

If I don't have to mess with springs and spindles and steering arms, maybe I will do it myself.

Thanks for the input. I think I will at least do some comparison shopping.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

teetoe:

didn't see your post before my reply. Maybe this guy is not aware that the kit bolts on the stock spindles. The reason I was shocked at his labor estimate is that I originally thought of doing power discs with 2" drop spindles and his labor estimate was 10 hrs. I looked at my wallet and decided all I could afford right now was manual discs. Without the power booster install and the spindle replacement, I figure the labor would drop by at least half, maybe more.

I'll talk to this guy tomorrow and make sure he is aware that the kit is a straight bolt-on.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 01, 04:40 PM
BC
Senior Tech

Man, I still don't know about those times pdq, you should be a Pro by now! I am not expert, but have done several conversions now, 2 B-body spindle conversions on Chevelles, and one drum to disk on my Nova. The last one (the Nova) took about 4 hours to do everything. Again, I am no pro, but if I were (like the guy at the shop...) I would think that no more than 5 hours would do it. That is swapping out spindles and everything. For a bolt on kit, it should be a lot less work.

Just my opinion,

Have a good one,
Bill C.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 01, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech

I was able to change from drums to pwr discs on the front and at the same time changed all the bushings, tie-rods, springs, with some help from a shop that I took the a-arms to r&r the bushings - by the time the brakes were bled, about 14 hrs. ssbc kit works flawlessly, feels great.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 01, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pdq67:
How many hours now? 14.5 hours! Wow, how far off am I, guy's??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I did the SSBC power front disc conversion from 4 wheel manual drums. I wish I'd have watched the clock, but I'm pretty sure it took me longer than that. It always takes me longer than I expect. Of course I did some other things during the install, like installed a line lock.

FWIW, I have a write up on my experience at http://www.mindspring.com/~gordon.wa...iscbrakes.html

I still haven't gotten around to retesting the 60-0 distance with my Gtech.

Anyhow, if someone quoted you 14.5 hours I think that's a fair quote.

-gw

------------------
1967 Camaro
406/M20 [email protected]
http://www.mindspring.com/~gordon.warren/
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 01, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech

Re-read the original poster's info...if your SSBC kit reuses the stock spindles then it's a different kit than mine and would indeed safe a butt-load of time. You could avoid the damage I did to my upper ball joint when removing the front spindle and save a trip to the auto store. That's at least a half hour right there!

Seriously, I didn't know SSBC had a kit that reused the stock spindle.

How much is that kit? I think I paid around $800 for the kit I bought.

-gw

------------------
1967 Camaro
406/M20 [email protected]
http://www.mindspring.com/~gordon.warren/
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 08:28 AM
Tech Team
Steve

I did Dave Pozzi's front brake swap, installed '79 Firebird rear disc, and installed a power brake booster with master cylinder on my 68 Camaro. I started Saturday morning around 8am, took lunch around Noon, and finished up around 5'ish. And I drove my Camaro to dinner. This was my first disc brake swap, but not the first time messing around with the front suspension parts. I started out with a 4 wheel drum, non-power assit car, and drove a power 4-wheel disc brake car to dinner. So, it took me about 9-10 hours.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

"Seriously, I didn't know SSBC had a kit that reused the stock spindle.

How much is that kit? I think I paid around $800 for the kit I bought."

gw - the stainless steel "superduty" kit (12" rotors) mounts on the stock drum spindles. This is what I wanted, but can't get bacause wheels are probably too small. I have 15x7s on the front and the guy at stainless steel said that size could be a problem; said 15x8s are probably the minimum size to fit the 12" rotors. That kit power is around $1100 (at Jeg's).
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 01, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech

nasadude......how far down in Md are You ? I am just over the Pa line,Rising Sun Md is 5 minuts away. Send Me an e-mail...I may be able to help You out......Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode