New Wayne Due Subframe??? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Question

Has anyone heard anything about Wayne Due coming out with a new subframe that will use C5 Corvette parts, weigh less, and be cheaper. Or am I only dreaming?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 07:30 AM
Tech Team

I dont know about how new or how much cheaper, but I have looked at his website and he does have a weld in front subframe available. I dont know the exact web address, but I can look. It does seem appealing because it comes with the coil over shocks, rack and pinion steering and big brakes all in one package. And it looks great also. You may want to check out protouring.net. I have seen info on that sight and a link somewhere. BTW the last price I saw was about $4300!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
John

i too heard that rumor a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything else about it. Don't know if it is true or not.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 08:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Just spoke with him Monday; he didn't mention it but that doesn't mean anything. I'm just finishing up a Wayne Due subframe in my 69. It's a nice piece but more set-up for small blocks. I've got a big block so there's a few other "issues" with it but overall looks great. Mine's the C4 Vette stuff with Bilstein coil-overs and Grand Sport brakes with 13" Baer Eradi-speed rotors.

Jody
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 08:58 AM
Tech Team

Camcojb,
What was the price if you dont mind me asking? Also, How is the install? Is it pretty simple and direct? How do all the body panels line up? I have read past posts and was wondering if we could hear from anyone who has already had theirs installed and running? It seems there were a few guys who were still in the process of installing the subframe, and had not driven the cars yet. Im sorry about all the questions.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 09:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I got a great deal as I bought it new from a friend who changed his mind on the direction of his car. The fit and quality are excellent. Most of my "issues" came from having a big block instead of a small block. Now my new $1100. coated Lemon headers don't fit this subframe without a bunch of tube cutting. The oil pan hits (barely) the rack and pinion; a small block would probably clear. I found a set of Hooker Super Comps that fit but I'll have to add a third u-joint and support bearing to the steering shaft as there's no way you can get it in a straight shot. Again, he claims a small block wouldn't have this problem. He only has one mounting set-up for big and small blocks so instead of having the big block 1" to the passenger side, tilted, and 1" forward, it gets the stock small block location. So now my driveshaft is 1" too long (not an issue with a small block).

The instructions could be better and have more detail. But Wayne is a heck of a nice guy and will bend over backwards for you to help you out. He was willing to do whatever I needed and I didn't buy the frame from him.

I will have the car up and running in a couple of weeks and will post pics and opinions on how the suspension works.

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 02-13-2002).]
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Jody, I'd love to hear your impression of the setup after driving the car. I think an LS1 and a Wayne Due subframe on a first-gen would be awesome. I wonder how long it takes to get a subframe after you place an order...

Steve
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 03:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Steve,

It took my friend a little over 6 months to get his. Hopefully he's a little faster now.

Jody
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech

Steve-
That was me that started that rumor. I have my car in his shop right now, and the plan was to build a jig off my car that would use the C5 suspension, and a C4 rack with a lower cost. Well, after mocking up my car and C5 chassis, it is impossible to get a good rack placement without pushing the engine back into the firewall, and even if we could, there is no way to make a good set of spindles and steering arms that would work with the new rack. We scrapped it, and made it a 1 time deal with my car.
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/1968_Camaro/Tyler_Beauregard/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/1968_Camaro/Tyler_Beauregard/5050.htm" TARGET=_blank>
50/50
</A>
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Talking

funny, just a funny story about wayne due,ive been seeing his name lately but wasn't sure if it was the same guy. about 15 yrs ago i started working as mechanic for a small shop in smokey point(WA), they needed someone to help out 'cause a guy was moving on; wayne due. i only worked with him about a week or so, but he is a real nice guy.(they used to call him "wang"). his family is well known in marysville,were i grew up, as strawberry farmers. i only live about 20 mins. from his shop,little did i know! sorry about the long winded story, just kinda struck me funny!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

I have a ARDF or Wayne Due suspension in my car and I love it... Quality in build is second to none. However, in order to correct some geometry issues, Kyle Tucker added a late model GM power rack in a new location and added a Winston Cup stabilizer bar. Also relocated the engine one inch to the pass side and rearwards a tad to help clear the oil pan (SBC) and steering gear.

You don't want to know how much it costs me to get it done after all the mods... Hell I don't want to know.

'Tis is fun though.

Take care,

Elmer

------------------
1969 Camaro RS Convertible
406 SBC Accel Superram, 700R4, 3.55 12 bolt
DSE Modified Wayne Due suspension, 17" Budnik Prisms, Baer 13" 4 wheel discs, Recaro SRD's, Custom Detroit Speed dash
http://communities.msn.com/TheBearHunt/
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 06:55 AM
Tech Team

Cool

tples69,
Why were there so many issues with your install? I thought the geometry was already taken care of? On Wayne's website it look like you can get the works for around $4300. Is this far off? Or are we talking 7,8,9,10 grand. I CAN TAKE IT! TELL ME!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 06:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Hopefully Tples69 will answer. I never priced it new from Wayne Due, but I HEARD that it was about $6K complete with upgrades from there. I don't think it's as low as $4300.

I spent $4K for mine. It had a few upgrades; Bilstein coil-overs plus rear shocks, late model rack as Elmer stated, Baer Eradi-Speed 13" rotors, Doug Rippie adaptors to run 13" brakes, Grand Sport calipers, Baer adjustable (for bump steer) tie rod ends, DSE weld in frame connectors, etc. Then I spent another $1K in powdercoating everything. I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Jody

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 02-14-2002).]
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone used the Detroit Speed front coilover kit? It looks like it might be a good (and less expensive) alternative.

Steve
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 07:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I just spoke with Wayne and he's going to e-mail some different pricing this evening. I'll re-post it as soon as I get it. You can get into one of these for about $4K-$4500 if you can buy a used front Vette clip for about $1000. and just bolt it on to his subframe and other parts. If you start rebuilding parts, powdercoating, etc. the price goes up.

He's about 2 weeks out for the bare subframe and about 6 weeks or so for the complete set-up.

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 02-14-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode