Brake feeling after disc brake conversions - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 03, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering how the brakes feel after a disc brake conversion. I am interested in finding out since I may eventually do a 4 wheel disc brake conversion on my car.

Also, I would like to know if the brakes are very touchy after converting to front disc. My car is very touchy with the brakes. I bought the car with the front discs converted but factory dums out back. The pedal cannot be used like a normal brake pedal in modern cars. If the pedal is pushed down past about an inch or so of travel the occupants lunge forward because the brakes grab very hard. I don't think this is normal. Is there a way to cure this? Would a proportioning valve help? Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech

I would be willing to bet that the wrong master cylinder is installed in your car. You should be able to cure your problem by getting a master cylinder designed for a disc/drum set up. Your local parts counter should be able to take care of you.

The only other thing I would wonder about is what type of disc brakes were installed on the front of your car. Are they factory offerings, or after market? What type of calipers do you have? These things may play a part in which master cylinder you need.

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

The front disc brakes are most likely aftermarket. I do not know because the car came equipped with them. The discs are vented, slotted, and cross drilled which is why I think they are aftermarket. The calpiers are single piston. I am not exactly sure of the diameter of the disc but it fits under a 15 inch Corvette Rally wheel.

Does the size of the power booster matter? I will look into finding out which type of master cylinder I have. Is there a marking or something that will tell me that when I look at it? Thanks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech

Check out these links. They should answer your questions.

http://mpbrakes.com/mpfaqboost.htm

http://mpbrakes.com/troubleshooting.htm

Thanks to ORENCH [img]smile.gif[/img]

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 03, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech

Hey 67 Camaro RS.....I just noticed you are here in the bay area, we are in Concord. Drive the car by my shop and I can help you out...I have the correct masters and prop. valves here on the shelf!!

Email me for address ect...

Matt
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 03, 03:00 AM
Kevin

67, is there 2 holes in your brake pedal arm? There were in 69. Manual used the upper and power used the lower. I had the same problem. You also have to use a power master 1 1/8 inch, not a manual 1 inch one. You also have to check the plunger depth from the booster to the master, there were different lengths and you could be mismatched. Dave Pozzi's site has more info.

Luck, Kevin

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode