wandering down the road/brake pull/high in the front - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
tim
Senior Tech

well,fellows I finally got the 69 together and on the road. I will get some pics on here later I promise. I am having a couple of problems the main one is the car wanders going down the road.I have had the front end aligned and the front is all new as far as ball joints and etc.I have adjusted the ps box 1/2 of a turn with the allen screw. that seem to help alittle I think.It reminds me of a pick-up you might be hauling something heavy in and the front end is light do you know what I mean.The other problem I am having is when I hit the brakes the front end seems to pull,I have new brake hoses and wheel cylinders,but did not replace the metal brake lines.The adjustment on the brakes seem to be the same.But the wandering is what really has me tore up, I am thinking I might need a new steering sector, any advice would really.Do you think the pulling in the brakes might be part of the wandering problem.While I am here let me ask one more thing, the car was a bb car with fac a/c, I am going to put vintage air on later, so it has no a/c now, plus I went back with a small block could the bb -a/c springs have any thing to do with my problem, the car does seem to sit alittle higher in the front than I want it to. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 06:49 PM
David Pozzi

Have someone turn the wheel left and right while you watch the linkage for play or looseness.
The nut on the top of the PS box should be turned down until resistance is felt. The steering must be aligned straight ahead on-center when this is done. There is a "tight spot" in the center of travel play should be zero on that spot, or actually a tiny amount of pre-load.

The BB springs are soft, the same rate as SB springs but taller. Not a good choice for a street car unless you are just poking along.

I"d put some stiffer springs on the car and lower it some.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
tim
Senior Tech

David, I have already checked all of the tie- rod ends and ball joints and etc.No looseness anywhere.I adjusted the ps sector again making it a complete turn on the allen screw.But the car still feels as if it is heavy in the rear and light in the front end, making it seem to walk all over the road.Any help would really be appericated. THANKS

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

What are your alignment specs?

Is it possible that they are out of what was initially set?

I think its either the steering box or the alignment based on what you have stated in your 'check list'.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 06:18 PM
David Pozzi

What are your tires like?
I had a 79 Z/28, put two new tires on the rear, half-worn tires stayed on the front.
The car was almost undriveable due to the extra tire squirm on the rear tires. You had to do a lot of steering just to go straight.
We swapped front for rear and it was fine after that.
David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 03, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
tim
Senior Tech

tires are new, everything in the front and rear is new.has many of you had to replace the steering stector?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 03, 06:13 PM
David Pozzi

What are the alignment specs you used?
First thing I'd check would be toe-in, it can get out of whack if the ride height changes even a little.
David

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech

"The other problem I am having is when I hit the brakes the front end seems to pull,I have new brake hoses and wheel cylinders,but did not replace the metal brake lines.The adjustment on the brakes seem to be the same."

On this issue, since the adjustment is apparently not an issue, have you tried re-bleeding the side that you pull away from? i.e. Car pulls left, re-bleed right.

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
tim
Senior Tech

yes I have rebled and rebled no help there. I did drive the car some sunday and I did notice that when you turn in like to a road that the steering wheel dosen,t even try to follow up by that I mean it dosen,t return any at all.could something be binding in the steering system .I have tried regreasing all fitting and noticed that the idle arm isn,t taking grease,could that maybe be a big part of the steering tighteness .I,am going to tear into it tonite, any other suggestions.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech

Hidaway, it sounds like you adjusted the steering box too tightly..If you don't have over the center or neutral play in the gear box, the car will always want to turn left or right which gives you that wandering effect. With the engine off and wheels straight adead, gently move the steering wheel back and forth but not enough to move the wheels. You MUST have play there. Some people, (like myself) have tried to eliminate that play and the car was downright frightening to drive! Many times people will replace all the steering componants and it will actually be worse because a worn tie rod, pitman arm or idler, adding play to the steering linkage will make it drive better..

67 Camaro RS /SS 350 4-speed coupe
67 Camaro SS 350 Conv.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
tim
Senior Tech

I have found that the idler is very I mean very tight, I will drive it tomorrow. And see what it does, will let you guys know o. k.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 06:38 PM
David Pozzi

Loosen the idler to frame bolts and re-tighten. If the center link was installed after the idler arm was torqued to the frame, it may cause a bind.

I have experienced a couple of 4WD trucks that drove like that after a complete rebuild of the links. It took a couple of thousand miles to loosen up enough for the steering to freely follow the steering. It felt "sticky", you would be zig zagging down the road...
David

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
tim
Senior Tech

after I found the idler tight and got it loose, I readjusted my steering box.I drove it today and things have not changed it still is tight steering. if you turn into a drive or a store it just does even try to steer back any on its on. Tomorrow I,am going to loosen the steering column from the steering sector and check the mast jacket bearing in the coulmn.it is like david says it zig zags down the road.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 03, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
tim
Senior Tech

after I found the idler tight and got it loose, I readjusted my steering box.I drove it today and things have not changed it still is tight steering. if you turn into a drive or a store it just does even try to steer back any on its on. Tomorrow I,am going to loosen the steering column from the steering sector and check the mast jacket bearing in the coulmn.it is like david says it zig zags down the road.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 03, 05:32 PM
Tech Team

On the pullng when you break issue..if it is NOT related to the wandering issue. Does it always pull to the same side? My 67 RS did this too (Always pulled to the right when breaks were applied). I noticed some of the gears on the adjuster bolt had worn off over time on the driver's side (yes, I have drums all around). Thus, only the passenger side would self adjust and car would grab the right side fist. Upon rebulding the breaks I replaced the adjuster bolt. Problem solved. Another problem has risen, but I wil list in a separate post. If you have front discs I'm stumped too.

'67 Convertable RS<br />Have a look!<br /> <a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/gleasonwillie" target="_blank">http://community.webshots.com/user/gleasonwillie</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode