Team Camaro Tech banner

new ideas for rear suspension are driving me insane!

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  68rs406 
#1 ·
Guys lately all I do at night is veg out in front of the computer and dream of ways to make my Camaro go faster. Right now I'm mad at my self because I started thinking of a new rear suspension and now I have a head ache and have no idea what to do. I basically told myself that a leaf spring suspension isn’t going to cut it if I want to run low 11's. Tell me is it possible to cut a 1.60 60ft and run a 11.2 at around 115-120 on a stock style rear suspension with a traction adder? I was leaning towards a mini tub and/or a parallel 4 bar setup. Is that way too much for a car that will be driven on the street and raced at the track? My car is by no means a daily driver but I also would like to be able to take on any road rain or shine without worrying about cornering. Also money is always a factor. Thanks for any input.

Justin

#2 ·
Heck, there are cars that dip into the ten's with just "slapper-bars" and smaller slicks if you get everything dialed in right!!

You haven't been dreaming too much b/c I've thought of designing an IRS by making the upper and lower A-arms one piece springs like transverse "buggy" springs and then using a 9" center IRS pumpkin!!!

pdq67

#3 ·
Take a look at the 69 Camaros that were at the YEAR ONE Bristol Bash F.A.S.T. event last month. Stock leaf spring rear suspension. G70x14 Goodyear Polyglas tires. Spring clamps are legal, but no other mods. (Could have had LANDRUM rear springs cause they look stock too.)

One of the Camaros went 11.89, the other went 11.40. All of this with a car that looks stock, from the outside, on the inside, and under the hood. NO nitrous, stock casting # heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, carb and air cleaner! All this through a 2 1/2 inch stock type exhaust and quiet mufflers.

Oh yeah, they're getting 1.84 - 60ft with this set up. How much quicker could they go with drag radials!

#5 ·
Friend of mine had a 72 Nova with monoleafs, worn out rubber bushings, Lakewood slapper bars, no cage, etc. Basically a junk suspension to the untrained eye. This car would run consistent 10.80-10.90s in good air with sub-1.50 60's. Also, check out Mike Morgan's beater Nova that's been in Hot Rod from time to time--same deal, a 9-second car with minimal rear suspension mods. I have little experience with the F-body suspension but it seems like running monoleaf springs and dialing in the preload on the slapper bars is key.

#6 ·
Head,

My homemade "slappers-bars" are a tune by feel sort of thing!!

I had to adjust each side's spring eye contact bolt separately as I also adjusted my cheap shock coil-overs side by side that I needed to raise my rear up enough to get my old L/60's under her.

I did this by adjusting each side and taking her out and dropping the clutch until I got the "bite" that I wanted!! Worked great for me..

This is easy to do, although time consuming to say the least.. It took me about three hours one sat. afternoon to do it, that's all... and about four try's!!!

I had to pull both rear tire's each try so was a pain...........

pdq67

#7 ·
I hate to say it since I run a 4 link and get 1.6 60ft's (launching a stick car with a centerforce clutch, noting fancy.), but it is overkill. My friend's 73 camaro has caltracs and he runs 10.2's with high 1.5 60fts no problems. (496cid big block, TH400 tranny) I think the 4 link launches straighter and I should get mine into the 1.5's next year with some tuning, but the caltracs get the job done for a lot less $. -Dan

#8 ·
Leaf springs and good traction bars, right shock combination, weight transfer, weight moved to the rear and lighten the front end. This will do all that is needed and remain street drivable. Head Hunter, If you haven't installed the Cal Tracs yet, send them to me. I will try them on my car and set them up. They need seasoning (hehehehe).

#10 ·
leaf spring cars can and will hook! my car has stock 5 leafs, over the counter gas shocks, and cal tracs, and runs 1.63 60', at 11.7 @ 114.5, on a drag radial and 3.73's. a buddy ran 10.80 w/ a 1.55 60' on factory leafs, hoosier qtp, and slapper bars. another buddy with a 62 nova has run 10.30 w/ nitrous, on factory type leafs, a skinny set of et streets, with slapper bars. i believe his best 60's are high 1.5, it has been getting squirelly at about 100', so next year i think he's going with some cal tracs.
cal tracs are a beautiful thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.