Team Camaro Tech banner

diff. between JL8 and 1st gen 4 piston

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  davidpozzi 
#1 ·
Are there differences between the JL8 and the 4 piston setup on 67&68? I know the JL8 was 4wheel setup and the other were front wheel setup, but bracketts, calipers, etc-are they different parts & pieces & numbers? Thanks, Tom.

#2 ·
Yes, kinda silly but they are all different.
The stock four piston front only front brakes are 11" X 1", The JL9 are 11 3/4" X 1.25".
So the caliper is mounted in a different location slightly.
A stock four piston bracket MIGHT be adapted via some welding and drilling for JL8 use with the old corvette cast iron calipers. Repro JL8 caliper brackets are about $300. a set!

JL8 used vette front rotors over a drum brake hub. Disc hub was different offset.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer 65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

#4 ·
I've got two friends who have converted to the JL8 brakes by getting a repro caliper bracket and old vette calipers and rotors.
Those brakes work great. The calipers are kinda heavy and make for wheel spoke clearance problems the same as the old vettes did with those calipers.
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

#6 ·
Guldstrand sells a rear bracket that is just a flat 3/8" plate. It bolts to the back side of the drum brake flange.

The front brackets are available as I mentioned, but expensive.
They are very beefy and well formed with the spindle attaching points at two heights same as a factory bracket.
You could have one made but would probably pay almost as much.
I made one once from a single piston bracket. Put the single piston bracket on and place the vette caliper over the vette rotor and see where the mounting lugs need to be.
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.