Anyone know what rack Steeroids kit uses? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Question

I want to go with rack & pinion if possible since I do not have a gear box and pump right now.

I plan to "fab" the bracket/ mount on the crossmenber to hold the rack. I have access to the heim joints needed to attach to my spindles and the I can also get the steering shaft/universals as well. I am building my car on a budget which is why I want to just get the right rack from a parts store rather than buy the OVERPRICED unit as a kit.

I have seen a few posts here were a few of the guys who bought the kits noticed that the rack was just a OEM GM rack, but nobody has given specific GM model names yet. One member even said that he would tell anyone how to do this from used or parts store parts if they email him. I emailed him, but it came back undelivereable?

Any help is much appreciated!!!
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 08:09 AM

Did you search? I'm sure this has been brought up before but I can't remember too much detail.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
nobody has given specific GM model names yet. One member even said that he would tell anyone how to do this from used or parts store parts if they email him. I emailed him, but it came back undelivereable?
I have went through just about every topic that I could find, but no specifics??

If you can find the post you are a better investiagtor than I....

If anyone knows anything about this please let me know...

Thanks again

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

From what I've heard, the way Steeroids does it isn't ideal. I haven't heard a lot of good from people who've installed their kit on the first gen Camaro's.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

I'm only taking a guess here, but I was given a rebuilt rack for a early 90's grand prix from a friend. It is rear steer, and the inner tie rods are at the same spacing as the stock center link on the camaros. I was planning on doing some mockup this winter for laughs, but I really don't like the steering u-joint angles the had to be done to make the steeroids kit work, but I don't see a way around it without going front steer. -Dan

62 Corvette (Stock Restoration)
68 RS/SS Camaro, LS7/T56
68 RS Convertible project LS3/480/4L70
2006 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette GS Convertible
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 08:22 PM
David Pozzi

do a search on http://www.pro-touring.com
it was talked about a lot over there. Some reported having to grind the steering U joints to prevent binding, they are at severe angles.
Ground clearance and header clearance on BB engines was a problem too.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech

I have experience with the Steeroids kit, in fact I bought one and still have it (it is for sale too). When I bought the kit, I had a small block in the car, and it seemed to fit really well, the only issue is selecting the correct headers. I did have to trim down one of the pieces about 1/16" on the steering column-to-rack adapter.

When I changed my car to a big block, I could not get the system to fit, specifically the headers. There may be units out there that will fit with this system, but they will be smaller tubes than the large ones I need with my 489 CI motor.

The steeroids kit is pretty simple, to be honest. One of the things that people questioned (including myself) was the strength of the outer tie rods. They look pretty thin, and in a rear steer configuration there have been questions about reliability in performance (i.e. road race) applications. To be honest though, I changed the oil in my 2002 Camaro last night, and noticed that the tie rods on this unit didn't look any thicker, albeit that this is a front steer config.

I think the answer to where the rack comes from is correct: a later model "Grand Prix" type car, not sure of the exact years, but mid to late 90's seems to ring a bell.

If anyone is interested in buying my unit, drop me an e-mail. It was used very little (one drive around the block, to be honest!). I had a buyer for it, but he flaked out on me.

Mark

69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

davidpozzi,

I have tried to search for specifics over at Pro-Touring too.... but I must be using the wrong search words?? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Anyway, here is the old posting from "kvette007" from TX that told "69Dragracer" back in Sept. 2001 to email him about the rack & mounting bracket information. I tried to email him at [email protected] but no good!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Rack & Pinion steering

kvette007

posted 09-29-2001 09:49 PM

69Dragracer: email me, I can tell you about the whole setup for Steeroids. I have the bracket that they sell. I did have the whole kit, but I returned it all but the mounting bracket...not because I didn't want it, but because I couldn't use it with the chrome headers and sidepipes that are on my car. I'll sell you the mounting bracket and tell you everything else you would need to buy (local auto parts)to make your car rack & pinion steering....for a fraction of what you would have to pay the Steeroids guys. Email me if you're interested.
Keven

Keven--'69 convertible. yellow-black stripes/top, 350-430 hp, accel dfi, chrome sidepipes, t-56, '84 vette IRS,17x9 zr-1 style wheels

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone knows Keven or his current address I will be in business!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Thanks again guys!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:59 PM
David Pozzi

I couldn't go back and find it either but if you go to Pro-Touring.com and select the suspension section, then start at page 20 and read the subjects, you will find references to the Steeroids rack.
The site has been moved from server to server, and may have lost some of it's indexing of posts.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 09:15 PM

e-mail. send me your question...
[email protected]

I have a working reverse engineer steeroids,

Please note i do not recommend it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode