Shifted rear end... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Well it looks like the new mill has more torque than the old. Went for a romp (nothing to excessive ) and now my rear tires are not centered any longer. The passanger side is about 1/2" - 3/4" closer to the inner fender than it use to be. Can you say it rubs when I turn right!! The driver side is also shifted the same away from the inner fender.

Both tires are aligned correctly front to back in the wheel wells and other than the rubbing and visual on the clearence nothing looks tweaked. The u-bolts are tight holding the the axle and spring plate in place and there is no sign of the axle housing slipping through the u-bolts although this is most likely what happened.

Is there a quick and easy way to loosen things re-center and tighten everything back down. I was thinging jackstands by the front spring eyes would allow the rear end to be bumpped around once I loosen everything.

Any ideas as to what happened or how to approach this?

Thanks in advance,

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech
John

With the way that the spring perches overhang the springs, I wouldn't think that the axle could move lateraly in relation to the spring. You might check for bent rear shackles.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I agree, I'm not sure what else it could be except for a bent shackle. I'm not sure if the leaf springs are capable of bending laterally. Doesn't sound like a hard fix.

In my Camaro, I've got extra thick shackes that are probably very difficult to bend. Really, there might be something else wrong to cause that sort of problem. When was the last suspension rebuild done?

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I've been on my back and that's what it may be. I can't visually see a bend in them but the spring alignment at the rear leads me to think they are. Also wondering about the shackle mount point. The springs and bushing are almost new.

------------------
...Dennis

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 01-31-2002).]
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech

What about the front eye bushing? Also, leaf springs will break in the front part that curls around the front bushing. They usually break way up on top where it can't be noticed unless the spring is lowered down..just a thought. That's a strange one.

------------------
Is this YOUR project? "Someday I'll restore it"
www.members.aol.com/panther1967/camaro.jpg
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 02, 07:19 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Exclamation

That new engine must be a real torquer, Dennis!

Just how sideways did you get it to bend the shackles like that?

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/joeg/index.html
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 02, 04:28 AM
David Pozzi

Dennis, The only thing I can think of is the front leaf bushings or front perches slipped somehow?
I've seen springs slip front to rear on the housing rubber pads before, especially single leaf cars.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 02, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I've got multi leafs. I didn't see any signs of front to back slipping. The springs are at least an inch (maybe a bit more) closer to the fender on the driver side than the passanger side on the back side of the wheel wells. It was the only obvious difference other than the passanger tire almost against the inner fender. I'll have to do some measuring on the front end of the springs to determin if everything shifted or just the end with the shackels.

With the body on stands will I run into problems jacking up the pumpkin to take a load off the springs and loosening or removing either end of the springs without removing anything else? I could put stands under the spring pearches but if things just slipped and nothing is bent or broken I think it might make it harder to align the springs properly.

------------------
...Dennis
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 02, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thanks for the input so far!! Ok... Never having done more back there than a brake job I got the springs out without killing myself!! Shackles look good, springs look good - no obvious breaks or cracks. The front mounting cups didn't look as if they had slipped and look solid also. The upper shakle bushing had a bit of wear on them but nothing excessive!! Found the area where the shackles bolt up to be needing a POR treetment but not so bad that it isn't structurally sound... I'm puzzled!! Any ideas guys??
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 02, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
could it just have been a slippage that returned to normal when released?
check the housing mounts for a bend. check the axle tubes for straightness, check to see if the axle tubes twisted at all.
i'm just trying to get out any ideas of what might be the problem.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 02, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech

Slip the shackles back into the frame rail bushings (without the springs attached) and just give them a quick visual....see if they hang straight down....maybe the frame rails twisted ? (I know I never heard of it either)...its definatly a strange one....if You think about it tho....when a car launches, the left side comes up and the right side goes down....kind of a clockwise twisting motion (as viewed from the rear) and if something were to bend, that is the direction the diff would shift to....just another thought...
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 02, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
John

Interesting...

I don't know exactly what the deal is with my '68 either. The wheel on the passenger's side is about 1/2'' closer to the fender than is the wheel on the driver's side. I don't know why! I have checked everything that you have DjD and I am now thinking that it might be a frame rail? Or perhaps, when the previous owner put on the new rear quarters they didn't put them on quite right? I too am puzzled.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 02, 05:30 AM
Kevin

Dennis, try this test.

Put both springs on the garage floor. The most level floor you have.

Then find a bar as close to the front spring eye bolt as possible and long enough to go through both at the same time.

Then lay the spring on the floor with the centers facing up.

Line up the front eye bolts and put the bar through both.

With the springs side bye side and the bar holding the front bushings, both springs should be parallel with each other and the rear spring eyes should lay flat on the floor.

If the springs are bowed or the rear shackle eyes are twisted, then...

You bent the springs!

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 02, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thanks for all the help guys!! The one thing I know is the problem didn't exist before the backend kicked out comming out of a driveway (turning right).

I'll check out the shackels and the springs much closer... If you think of anything else, post away please!!

------------------
...Dennis
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 02, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Question

This is very interesting because my '68 also has this problem. I have replaced the entire rear suspension and the passenger wheel still looks like it is shifted outward about 1/2" to 1" more than it should be. Of course this is also before I started my front end rebuild and the car was leaning to the driver's side pretty bad also.

Maybe the body is slightly twisted/ shifted?

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode