Project almost complete. 13" 4WDB, Hotchkis springs, and power steering. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 02, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Well my winter project is almost complete. I installed 4 wheel disc brakes using 95 Corvette 13" rotors, and 72 Chevy truck calipers, front and rear. I'm using Power Stop crossdrilled rotors,( I like the looks better ), I got these through Summit at about $110 a piece. I got the front bracket template from PDQ (Thanks again), and I made the rear using the front as a guide. I cut the brackets out of 1/4" steel, using a chop saw and plasma cutter. The brake hoses were actaully about the same price as a loaded caliper, about $35. I'm using a master cylinder from a 2000 Chevy S-10, $100, as suggested by Mr. Pozzi and Kyle Tucker. I just need do a little more work on the brake hard lines, to the adjustible rear proportioning valve, and then bleed the brakes. I put Hotchkis springs in it, front and rear. Those went in fine. I didn't use the rear pads, and made a 1/2" steel plate to accept the center pin, since my rear is a mono spring rear. I also installed power steering using a box from Speedway motors. It's 3 turns lock to lock and only cost $150. I think the pump was about $80 from the parts store, I think it's a newer style pump to match the press on pully I have. I hope they work well together. Got the PS hoses from the parts store too. I had to buy the pitman arm and power steering coupler, both of which were about $70 each, ouch. I bought the PS pump bracket, crank pulley and PS pulley though March, I already had the serpintine conversion kit, so now I have a extra crank pully for just one belt. So far so good, I should have it finished in a couple days. But I can't move the car untill the 17" wheels get here, which take 2-3 weeks. My 16" Torque Thrust won't fit with the 13" rotors, the caliper hit's the wheel. I'll try to take some pictures soon and post them. So far so good, I just hope everything works together.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

[This message has been edited by MarkM (edited 02-11-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 02, 03:03 PM
David Pozzi

Mark,
The only thing I see that could be a problem is the rear calipers and rotors being the same size as the front.
Your adjustable prop valve may not have enough range to cut the rear pressure.
The Kelsey Hays prop valve has the most range, by the way.

I'd like to know how the S-10 master cyl works for you.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 02, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The proportioning valve that I bought is a Willwood/Summit, it says it can adjust pressure from 100 to 1000 psi, and can reduce pressure up to 57%. If that tells you anything, I'm not sure.

I'll let you know how the master cylinder works. Kyle used the same one on that yellow '66 Nova he just completed that's in CHP and PopHotrodding.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 02, 12:45 PM
Banned

Great job,

I gotta come down and visit with you sometime soon. As soon as the stuff w/ my Mom gets settled I will head to St. Louis and stop by. Will get in touch first, thou.

I haven't been able to work on my car and tell all how the custom front brackets work yet. I'm going to have to do a bunch of carpenter work for Mom's ramp, first, if the fickle weather holds off. That ice storm in Macon, MO was a REAL BIT-h!! pdq67

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 02, 01:24 PM
David Pozzi

Mark,
What is the bore size on the master cyl, and does it have a larger bore third piston like the quick take up type?

pdq67, not to rub it in, but we had the nicest day since last October last sunday. Temps were about 72 degrees but it felt warmer because of the clear sky.
I went to Laguna Seca and watched the CART cars practice there. I't's been cold here up til now. Not like you are getting, but cold for us!
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 02, 01:53 PM
Banned

Wink

He, He!! I know, Pozzi! You just gotta rub it in, don't you.

Funny thing, the monday before the ice storm up north, it was something like 63 degrees in Jefferson City, MO! AND I HAD TO WORK!!! what a bummer.

I guess, I'm just gonna have to go see my buddy thats south of Birmingham, AL by way of Central, CA! LOL's.

I guess my little three-banger would probably make the trip OK. pdq67

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 02, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Talking

Mark, just out of curiousity what rims/tires sizes did you go with? I know that you were planning on the intros with the nittos but I just wanted to double check.
Thanks and great job,
Donnie
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 02, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dave, I don't know what size bore it is. It was stated in last months CHP that the yellow 66 nova was it, but I can't find that magazine now. I'll try to find out those answers.

PDQ, just let me know when you're in the area and you can check it out. There is probably a little revision I would do on the bracket.

Donnie, I bought Intro Pentia's. 17x8 front with 5.25" bs, with 255/40 17 Nitto 555. For the rear; 17x9.5 with 5.5" bs, and 275/40 17 Nitto 555R drag radial.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 01:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Wow. Can't wait to hear how they perform. You're going with manual discs?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Rick. Yeah I went with manual. I like the cleaner look of the lack of the boster, and I don't think my engine would pull enough vacuum anyway. I don't want to mess with vacuum pumps either. It didn't bother me with just stock disc, so these should take even less effort.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 06:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Dave, I just read that article. The MC bore is 1". Don't know about the other question.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 06:59 AM

Hey Mark,

I'd definately like to see some pics of the stance when you're done. Also, could you elaborate a little on the leaf spring installation. I have a mono leaf car too and am considering the hotchkis kit. From what I understand, you didnt use any of the pads to install it, just a steel plate with a hole for the tits on the springs?

thanks
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lite, yeah there is a pin on the top and bottom of the spring. The bottom pin goes in the hole in your lower spring plate. For the top hole I made a 1/2" thik plate with a hole in the center to fit inside the spring pearch. I layed this plate on the spring and it fit right up into the pearch. The springs came with poly pads, but I didn't use any of them.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

Mark,
Man! That's gonna look awesome! When do you think that you'll have pics of your car with the rims? Did you end up ordering them from dealersporttrucks.com or somewhere else? Oh, have you heard about those new nitto dr's? I think that they're called the RII's. They're supposed to have a stiffer sidewall for less wear and a little better handling tire. Just thought I'd let ya know. Did you have to wait a long time for the rims because of the backspacing or is that an "in stock" size?
Thanks again for the help on rim sizes,
Donnie
P.S. If you don't mind, how much were the pentia's?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Donnnie. It takes 2-3 weeks for the wheels. Others like Budniks and Billet Specialty can take longer. I don't think there are any "on the shelf" wheels, you order then, and they make them. 17" Intros cost $1395, any style any width. I think those other Nitto's you are reffering to are only offered in smaller sizes like 225's and 215's. I saw them advertised in Jegs or Summit. I'll deffinitally get some pictures with the new wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode