Changed springs lost traction - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 03, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Red face

Hey you all, I havn't been online in a long time, nice to be back. I see CNC is or was up to his old tricks, too bad.

I tried to post my problem once but lost it somewhere so I hope I don't duplicate it.

Anyways, here is my situation.

I put on a set of M/T ET Streets 28 by 11.5 15". My car would hook up within 5 or 6 feet. Only problem was I didn't quite have enough clearance and sliced up the sidewalls a bit.

So in all my brilliance I got rid of my mono leaf springs for a set of multi (4leaf) springs. My thinking was to pick it up about an extra inch of clearance and to stiffen up the suspension. It did both of these quite well.

But now if I mash it I get a full car length of tire spin and if I load up the convertor to about 2500 - 3000 and then pin it I am up in smoke.

So is my problem the stiffer springs?

Or did I just shift my weight too far to the front end?

Is it a bit of both?

Am I just a moron?

I don't have traction bars. I don't have wheel hop that I know of, just too much wheel spin. Do traction bars help plant the tires? I was under the impression they were for stopping wheel hop.

If it's a weight transfer thing would I be wise to lift the front end an inch or so?

Sorry for the lengthy post but I have always had good knowledgable responses from you folks.

Thanks for any advice - Barry.

68 Camaro, 355, Forged pistons, rods and crank, Edelbrock Alum Heads, Air Gap w/Street Avenger, CC 280H, MSD Dist & Digital Box, T400 w/brake & 4200 stall, 513 gears, 11.66 @ 120 (with 150 shot) Street driven (occasional strip use)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 01:09 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Sounds like you lost your pinion angle and rear"squat" weight transfer. Alot of guys say the Cal-tracs<sp?> are the way to go. 1.6 60's must have something right?

anyone else?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

It's been quite a few years since I've done any drag racing, however, I will try to "impart" some of what I had learned. I would start by trying to dial in the combination you have. The pinion angle pointer is an absolute. Check and adjust this first. I also recommend using a buddy (wife, girlfriend, sig. other) and a video camera during a test and tune session. You would be amazed at what you can learn from watching the tape over and over and over. You will get a good view of front end lift, squat, rear end lift, bite, slick wrinkle, etc. The mono springs may have been just soft enough to work with the setup you have. With the five leafs, you did stiffen the setup which will change the reaction of the car. You may need to increase front lift with looser shocks, stiffen the rear shocks, etc. Your RT seems very good so far, but improvement only comes with playing with it. Use the video trick and let us know how things turn out.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention this traction & loss of traction is all on the street. The car hasn't seen the strip yet (but it is coming real close). I realize or have heard the traction on the strip is a lot better then the street, and I hope so, but like I said I could bite on the street (to my liking) and now I lost it.

That 60' time isn't mine, I'm not sure how that came about, hope I didn't mislead you. Thanks again I will have to look into the angle and get someone to video my launch's.

If I can get my hands on a trailer I plan on hauling it on up to SIR to see how all works on the strip.

Thanks again - Barry.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 10:12 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
The 1.6 60's was what some have seen < not everyone >with cal-tracs, some maybe better. Slicks are made for the track and will bite better. Radials <street tires>on the other hand don't fair so well at the track.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

it's tough to judge on the street. my car is pathetic smoke if i even tap the throttle on the street, but at the track, it flat hooks. i am one of the guys running 1.6 60' times with caltracs, btw. thats with factory springs in front, factory 5 leafs from a 69 ss on the rear, just replacement gas shocks all around, and drag radials. the battery is still up front, p/s, p/b and i was running my 15-7/15-8 rallyes. i firmly believe this would not be possible without the caltracs. i had mono leafs on it at one time, w/o caltracs, and my springs would wrap up so bad on the street i smashed one of my shocks flat on one side . when i went with the multis, kind of for the same reason you did, tires rubbing, and of course the brutal spring wrap up, it felt much better, slightly stiffer, but not so sloppy during shifts(automatic btw). i never ran it this way at the track before i put on the caltracs, however. obviously you lost a little traction, since you feel it on the street, but you just don't know how it will react on the super sticky launch pad of a track. try it at the track and if traction is futile, i have to highly reccomend considering a set of caltracs. and of course at least a sticky (drag) radial. just my opinion, hope it helps [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Thanks again for your input. I tend to agree that this will be a totally different situation on the track, at least I hope so. I don't race the car on the street but I have done several tests on clear & deserted streets/hyway.

A little off the subject, but is it ever getting to be a pain trying to get some US companies to do business in Canada. The lattest I have ran into is Nitto, they won't supply to anyone (in western Canada anyways). Just a little steam release, I don't want to start a issue.

Thanks again for your input and take care out there!!! - Barry

68 Camaro, 355, Forged pistons, rods and crank, Edelbrock Alum Heads, Air Gap w/Street Avenger, CC 280H, MSD Dist & Digital Box, T400 w/brake & 4200 stall, 513 gears, 11.66 @ 120 (with 150 shot) Street driven (occasional strip use)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

yeah, so i hear. some guys we race with up in mission B.C. were telling me that basically after accounting for the value of the canadian dollar, and paying duties, you can mark up a price you see in say a summit catalog to double by the time it's in thier hands. ouch, that sucks . i guess that shows how die hard you canadians are [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode