hydroboost and pedal feel - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

After numerous tries with small boosters, different M/C 's and pads, I went with a hydroboost for my 70 Nova SS.
What a great system BUT, the when the brakes are applied, the brake pedal stays down and SLOWLY returns. After I take my foot off the brake pedal, the brakes stay locked for about 2 seconds before the pedal raises back up
I followed the installation step by step.
Is anyone else thats running a hydroboost setup experienced this ?
Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech

Cottonpicker,

One of the guys who works at Hydratech Braking Systems post here Pro-touring.com . I bet he can answer your question.

good luck

bob spears

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">69mscle</a><br /><a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">My Popular Hotrodding Article</a>
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech

I'm running Hydroboost, and nothing like that has ever happened to me... Give Paul a call at Hydratech, he'll get you dialed in.

Scott

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

How do you have the HB and PS box return lines routed?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I drove the car last night for a while and it seems to be getting better. I spoke to Paul this morning and he said that it is not abnormal for this to happen and will get better as I drive within 500 miles It is staring to get better already.
I cant tell everyone how happy I am with the system. I spent alot parts trying to get the damn thing to stop and nothing worked. I couldnt go back to a full booster because of clearance problems.
If I knew then what I knew now, I would have gone with the hydroboost right off the bat. The system looks great and even got complimnets about it at a local cruise.
Anyone who is experiencing problems with braking should definately call Paul at Hydratech and order the system.
Now I have to get use to pedal pressure since I am use to using both feet to stop. The stopping ability is unbelieveable.
If anyone is interested in the looks of the system installed, email me and I will forward a photo of it installed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 11:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Don't know a thing about hydroboost, so this is my question. In the event of a hydraulic hose breakage, does the system works, as the vacuum assisted system works without vacuum? Easier, harder?

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

From what I was told by others and Paul, if the car stalls, there is enough pressure stored in the hydroboost for at least 2 stops. Not sure about if a hose breaks. But, even if the system fails, you have manual brakes, just not assisted.
I am not to worried about breakage because he uses a very high quality braided hoses for the pressure lines.
Hope this helps
you can reach him at www.hydroboost.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech

I had my car die at about 120 mph, and the brakes worked great the first two pumps or so. Then as the reserve was used up, I had a hard pedal. If I would have kept my foot in it instead of modulating, I would have had power assist until I came to a stop.

Scott

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech

Hopefully I will be able to get my going soon. I think my master cylinder is leaking internally. The pedal never gets firm, so I bought a new one and I am dying to try it out
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Many of the units have a reserve pressure unit. It's the cylindrical piece that looks like it's hanging off the side. Mine has this, and even after 30 days sitting in the garage it still had enough reserve to stop the car with one toe.

If a hose broke there would still be 2-3 stops available in the reserve system. If the reserve system failed then that's another story. With 13"/12" PBR's and Hawk pads I can stop the car without the booster but I have to really step on 'em hard.

There is supposed to be a new booster that has this feature added internally.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode