Baer brake ? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

I'm installing Baer brakes all around on my 68 and i 've run into a problem. I need to find a booster that will fit the brake application. the front is a 13" rotor track system and the rear is a 12" touring system. i called the guys at baer to see if they could help me and they said a 9" dual diaphragm booster would fit. the problem is they(baer) don't sell these and i'm having a hard time getting one through my local parts store. does anyone have a simular setup with a dual diaphragm booster,where did you get it,how much did it run and if you have a part # it would be great.
thanks, Zack 68

my 68camaroSS project<br /><a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">www.geocities.com/zack68ss/1.html</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Angry

Check out a booster for an early to mid 90's IROC to start with. I have two, one that would probably bolt right up and another that had mounting studs in the bracket that I had to cut off to get it to fit the firewall.

Went through all that trouble and now they are sitting on a shelf because I'm going to use a hydroboost unit instead.......

Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'51 Chevy 3/4ton
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hey bret did you actually get this setup to work with the IROC booster, or is this why you switched to the hydroboost system? if it did work and you are willing to part with the dual booster e-mail me with your price.
thanks Zack 68

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech

why not use a stock 68 booster with a properly sized master cylinder?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

The booster is gonna cost about $300.00 anyway. The hydroboost systems can be purchased pretty cheap, although it is recommended to purchase a 'new' unit......

I would look into a Vette booster, afterall that is what was used with that system from the get go. There is no such thing as a mid-90's IROC so that wont help you at all.

But a stock booster and a 15/16 master should do the trick.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking

what year vette? i got the master cylinder from bear it's not the original master cylinder and they are the ones that suggested the 9" dual d booster. is there a big diffrence between a single and a dual diaphragm booster? should a stock 68 camaro booster work? any other suggestions??
thanks, zack 68

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 08:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Master Power brakes has the small boosters for our cars. That's what I used on mine, but it's not the least expensive way to go. I used an 8" booster for clearance with the big block.

Jody

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech

The master that Baer supplies (if its the iron cylinder) is a 15/16". So that will do fine.

Jody brought up a good direction. MP makes some darn good products and I have used their boosters before just for the reason of a big block.....which would work on your system just as well. The unfortunate thing is its cost. Thats is why I think the extra $100.00 would be worth spending on a HydraBoost system. But, if vaccume is the thing for you, the MP booster would be the way to go.

As for a Vette application, I would look for a 93-96 master.

The diffference between the single and dual units really comes down to modulation and pedal feel in my opinion. The dd's first stage boosts the signal of the second stage, effectivly amplifing the input.

And I do think that a stock booster would work, but on how well it works is where my question comes in. I just dont like the single diaphram stuff. But then again, I really dont like power in any fashion....with my exception growing towards the HydroBoost system.

I drove Mean69's ride just to gain some feel of how that system drives/feels (BTW, Mark has put together a really nice chassis so far).....and it changed my mind in considering a power system. I'll tell you this, it had to make a HUGE impression on me to even consider a boosted system, and it did. I have always been a manual brake kinda guy.....street and race car. You just cant beat the manual modulation. But..... I'd do it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Cool

he he he...gotta get that labotomy reversed....
Tom,
Mid eighties to early 90's IROC is what I was thinking, but typed it wrong. I don't know the specific year the booster came from but it was a four wheel disc, late model thrid gen (how's that for a description?)

The Vette idea or maybe 4th gen Camaro booster/master would be good options as well because you will essentially have a complete system designed from the factory to work together with the PBR calipers. BUT aren't the booster to firewall brackets such that the master is level rather than angled upward? I don't know what if any problems that may cause.

Zack
I decided that I didn't want to mess with a vac system after all the positve feedback on the hydroboost is why I'm not using them. One mod that would be left to make is that the pushrod has an eyelet on the end rather than being threaded like the first gens. The one booster I have that required cutting off mounting studs would also require the pushrod hole in the firewall be lowered about an inch. I haven't checked the other boosters fit yet, but can if you'd like.

I guess the bottom line is that it will depend on whether you want to spend big money for a direct bolt on or do some fabbing and save some money.
If you are interested in either of the boosters I have, just pay me the shipping cost and it's yours. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

[ 08-09-2003, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: bretcopsey ]

Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe

'51 Chevy 3/4ton
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech

Hydroboost + Baer Track = unreal braking performance. Under extreme braking, I feather the brake pedal like you would do with the throttle on acceleration. IMHO, I'd just buy the Hydroboost and forget about the vacuum booster. If you have any questions, drop me an e-mail.

Scott

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech

The non tilted booster is actually a good thing I think....as long as you have the right reservoir on the master like the one Baer supplies.

(hydroboost)

Did I type that out loud....?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

OK why does the Hydroboost sytem out-do a DD booster,how easy to install is it,will it fit my baer master cylinder,what are the advantages and disadvantages and what can i expect to pay for a system like this?
Zack 68

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech

Now that we have beat you into submission......

The HydroBoost system uses a hydraluic medium that is run off of the power steering system and it does not require engine vaccum to operate. So, with larger camshafts etc....it doesnt effect you braking performance, AND if the engine were to shut off for what ever reason, you would still have roughly four good pedal applications before you lost the brake assist itself due to that it has a pressure resevoir built into the unit itself. Hydralic pressure is also more efficient and is naturally a better medium to provide assistance.

Yes, your Baer master cylinder will still work. In fact it is the recommended master cylinder for this application, pressure and modulation wise. A 7/8" would also be a good choice, but so far finding one that fits what we deem necessary as turned up some what elusive.

I really see no disadvantages. Unless you think plumming is a pain, but the kit has that pretty much taken care of as well.

As for price, I would ask that you take a look at their site and then talk to Paul for the final answer. They just got done with a group purchase over on Pro-Touring.com (that NO ONE passed to this site !!!!, bastages [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) So, Paul might take that into consideration in pricing......I hope.

HydroBoost

Maybe we can work one for Team Camaro !?!! But we gotta find out from Paul first. He is a class act, I have had a few discussions with him and he's "good people" in my opinion.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

just checked out the hydroboost system,looks very promising. i'm trying to get some info on pricing and application and if it looks good i'll probably go the hydroboost route.
thanks Zack 68

BTW thanks for beating me into submission. i've seen the light [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode