shocks and traction bars - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 01, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
i'm planning a street car. that will occasionally run some strip passes, and basically i want to embarras imports and mustags.
anyway i'm making the shock/traction choice now and heres what i'm planning

edelbrock IAS shocks
competition engineering slide-A-link traction bars

has anyone used these? do you like them?
btw its going to be a small block car when i'm finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 06:20 AM
Tech Team

CamaroNOTCamero,

Interesting setup. I too am workin' on my '67 that will be used just like yours. I am interested why you choose the Edelbrock shocks? I am in the market for shocks after just having installed the Hotchkis front and rear spring kits. Hotchkis' rear spring kit feels very strong under acceleration and my front end no longer reaches for the gods. What do you think about my setup for mostly street use occasionally runnin it on the strip. I too would like to embarrass the rice rockets and stangs.

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
Edelbrock intake & carb, dynomax headers & exhaust, TH350, Hotchkis suspension
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 11:22 AM
Tech Team

Tell us how you like those slide a link bars...I'm thinkin about getting a pair.

For shocks I'd go with Koni or bilsteins. If I was running Hotchkis springs I'd go with the bilsteins Hotchkis sells to match thier springs. If you got regular springs with those slide a link bars I'd go with Koni since you can adjust em. Not much more than edelbrock shocks and you might as well go all the way.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well i've been looking at shocks through magazines and thought that the inertia valve on the edelbrock shocks was a good idea. i'm sure you'd be just as well off with KYB 5 way adjustable shocks also.
i'm looking to buy the competetion engineering slide-a-link traction becuase its very small, adjustable, and works better then regular bars.
i'm still working on my rear springs i just finished my front springs and i have energy suspension polyurethane bushings, endlinks, transmission mount, body mounts, leaf spring mounts and pads and the car accelerates alot quicker, handles better and doesnt flex much at all.
i'm also planning on using competetion engineering's "bolt-on" subframe connectors.
you really should try and eliminate all the front end lift, you want it to transfer the torque to the rear and lift up a little, but not reach for the sky, just like your doing now, i think your on the right track.
embarassing the imports and stangs is what keeps me working on this, oh and one of my friends said his car will be quicker then mine when i'm done with it, his is a stock 93' LT1 camaro, and i'm planning a 450hp 355 small block that will be mostly aluminum parts so i'll have 175 more hp and i'll be 1000lbs lighter then him.
good luck with your car.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 01, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

SS i just read your post, i'll check out the koni's, are they good for a quick launch, and i dont want shocks that are too bouncy as i have pretty tall tires (28" rear 27" front) and i dont want them scraping.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 01, 02:38 PM
Tech Team

Camaro,

Your car is going to smoke your buddies stock 93 in my early opinion. Is your buddy a dreamer like most of my friends? j/k

Leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 01, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

, hehe i love confidence boosters like that. yeah...he's a dreamer, and he under estimates his competetion.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 01, 04:54 PM
Tech Team

Actualy having taller softer front springs will help with traction because they push the front of the car up and the back of the car down to get more weight onto the rear tires so they grip better. Just about any modification that helps hadling hurts off the line performance.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 01, 03:23 PM
Tech Team

Firebird,

I am no expert, but I kinda disagree. Less travel the front suspension moves, the less kinetic energy lost in the suspension during launch. You may grip better, but at the cost of the time it took the springs to stretch. You basically grip later. Plus, I'm not so sure you grip better with softer front springs anyway. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 01, 04:54 PM
David Pozzi

I ran Guldstrand front and rear springs. the front springs are the same as Hotchkis sells. the rear three leaf Guldstrand springs were the auto cross versions which were suposidly stiffer than the Hotchkis.

The front did not raise much and the very stiff shock setup didn't help weight transfer. I was using pretty hard old technology tires on the street which didn't help. It was better than the stock springs with traction bars and single leaf's I ran before.

When I used tires with more traction for autocross, the front end lifted more and the car hooked up much better. So, I think the stiff setup can work pretty well if the rear tires are up to the job in size and stick.

I had a LT1 350 with ported angle plug heads making about 425 hp. could run about 13:20 at 106 with street tires and thru the mufflers. but had to soft pedal it in first with 4.56 rear gears.
Posts by Chicane67 say he hooks up pretty well with 600hp and springs of Hotchkis rate front, stiffer than Hotchkis rear. I'd like to see how it's done, hope I can do as well when I get mine running again.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 01, 06:10 PM
Tech Team

By the torque of the engine helping to raise the fron tof the car it decreases the amout of force on the front tires and increases the force on the rear tires. This pushes the rear tires into the ground. True it might take a split second longer to release the front springs, but you get better traction. The ultimate way to run would be with the normal force of your front tires equal to zero (the point just before they leave the ground) this way the rear tires are suporting the weight of the car and in turn increasing the coeficient of friction between the tires and the road. So at a cost of a split second yo can have alot more traction wich will accelerate you faster than starting a split second earlier and spinning the tires due to a lot less traction.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 01, 02:18 PM
Banned

Smile

Ditto!! pdq67

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 08:05 AM
Tech Team

Thanks Guys,

I emphasize not being an expert. It just didn't seem logical to me. That is what I like about this site, how much I learn and how many biases I find out I have. Finding this site was the best thing I could have done for my ride

Question: Being that I went to the Hotchkis multi's in the rear and 2" drops in the front, if I decide to run some 1/8 mile runs will my rear smoke up and burn out with zero traction off the line? I was told with the HOtchkis kit in the back that you didn't need traction bars. Here in San Diego people run 1/8 miles against eachother at Qualcommn stadium certain nights. It is mainly rice rockets and stangs (which is why I want to go down there )

leftcoast

------------------
'67 Camaro 327
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 09:29 AM
Tech Team

I think hotchkis says you dont need trac bars because their leafs are stiff enough that they dont "s" up very much. A huge factor in traction is your tires. All the mods you do are only as good as how much friction you can get out of your tires. An easy way is to get some street slicks. After your tires have plenty of traction is when you will notice what you need to do to your suspension (like trac bars, or lift bars, or front springs, or drag shocks...)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i'll just get a pair of aluminum rims for the rear and slicks when i wan to go down to the track, probably mickey T or hoosier.
i decided to go with lift bars instead of slide a link, i think they work better...and cost less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode