Putting Sub Frame Back In - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 01, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Butch

Question

I am going to be putting my subframe back in with new bushings in a couple of days. The question I have is there any way to make sure I have it back in correctly? I remember reading about taking measurements in an article one time but I can't find the book I read it in now. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 01, 07:51 AM
Guess

Old Blue,
I don't know what year you're talking about but on first gens there are 2 locating holes next to the front mounts on the subframe and corresponding tabs next to the mounts on the firewall. You can use a .610" pin of some sort in the holes to help line up the frame to the body. You should also take a tape measure and doublecheck the distance from the tab to a location you choose on the front of the subframe(such as the mounting point for the front suspension or the front point of the subframe itself. Its best to do this in a diagonal measurement making sure one side is as close to even as the other side. Now tighten your subframe bolts and re-check.
(I took some of this info from a previous post)
Do a search here on "lining up subframe" and you'll get a lot of info on it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 01, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Butch

Talking

Thanks Joe, I read it somewhere it may have been on this web site earlier in the year. I knew I had to check X but I couldn't remember from where to where to check. I will look up some back posts. I have a 69 I am working on right now. Thanks again.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 06:16 PM
Guess

No problem. Good luck with it. I'm getting ready to remove mine and I've always heard that they alomst never go together perfect. If I get mine back where it is right now, it will almost BE perfect! Let us pray......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 01, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Butch

Cool

Guess what Joe I got it back in today and I got squared up within less than a 16th of an inch so I tightened it up like that. I did one back in 92 and I still have the Z. I had the front end aligned and have had no problems with that car. Now to put on all the rest of the parts, sounds like a good winter project, right. Thanks for the input and good luck with your project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode