68 Firebird back on the road! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 03, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tommy

Wink

I just completed my 2nd drive since I finished the suspension, brakes, battery in trunk, High output alternator, shifter conversion, electric fan, aluminum radiator, hood tach INSTALL! Hehehhe [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
2 years worth of work! It's amazing. I used to think my car was fun, and it's much better now. I still need registration, inspection, alignment, and new tires... But wow!

The single piston conversion up front and stock drum work very well now that I have braided flex lines and gravity bled it. The difference is almost scary. I took care to temper the brakes after their sleep, got the varnish off and now it brakes really well! 35 year old rubber hoses are not pretty or safe.
I'm completely in love with the hood tach! I'm not used to it and whenever I remember to look at it, it's like "cool..."
The solid Ny-liner bushings (VSE) up front are just like everyone said. Lots of good feedback from the road and wheel input, not rough at all just responsive. That combined with solid subframe bushings, cut station wagon (6041) coils and Hotchkis three leafs in back this car corners now! The old tires can't begin to harness the new suspension. Yet with Bilstein shocks, the car cruises like a newer car. My only Newer comparison is a 99 V6 Accord coupe. The Firebird is only slightly more firm than that and is way flatter in the turns.
So far so good with the hi-amp alternator. I installed a new high output externally regulated alternator from a company here in Texas. I figured it was a good idea with the electric fans and 15 yr old Alpine system. At driving rpm it appears to be doing its job very well.

I have 2 more brackets to fab and then I can mount the 96 TA seats in the car. They'll look good and hold me in place with the new suspension. May sound silly but if you look at the design of the later seats they are very similar to the original Deluxe style seats, just more bolstering. I figure if I take the headrests off while it's parked most folks might not notice the change. I could get some seat covers made in comfortweave and have a great looking upgrade!
Later on I'll put 2002 Fbody 4 wheel discs on the car. I have all the parts together for it. I still need to get the drum hubs machined, have parking cables made and install it all. Should be interesting but for now I want to drive it and that means getting it inspected with a great working stock setup. It can wait.

I would like to thank you David, you definately inspired the suspension. The other fellas here also convinced me the Bilsteins were the way to go. Thanks to pdq and Chicane on that. Thanks to PonPow for the subrame mounts... [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

1968 Windward Firebird 350HO [email protected]
Blk Deluxe Interior 200-4r 3.23 PS PDB
Moog 6041 Cut Coils
Hotchkis 3-leafs
Guldstrand Mod
VSE Shocks
VSE Nyliner Bushings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 12:27 AM
Tech Team

Anytime [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . I am glad to hear you have her up and running. It sure gets me more motivated to get my 'bird running. Congrats, it must be a great feel of accomplishment.

Patrick
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 08:16 AM
David Pozzi

Thanks for the feedback. If you find anything we recomended that does not measure up or is not a streetable idea, please let us know.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tommy

Talking

Thanks Patrick! It really does feel good. I know you understand when I say it's a relief to be able to think of the car in present tense when it comes to driving. Daydreaming doesn't feed the urges.
Stick to it and get it knocked out. What are you currently waiting on with your Firebird?

David, you're welcome! I certainly will let you know if any concerns come up. I used to cringe with speed bumps and drive ways back when had the old loose springs and shocks. Now, it's not even a problem, however I have not tested all the worst speed bumps yet. I love everything about this combo so far. My only problem is the old dry tires and 15" rims. I think I can work with what I have for rims at the present, but the tires are going to need to be really decent.

Moog 6041 Cut Coils
Hotchkis 3-leafs
Guldstrand Mod
VSE Shocks
VSE Nyliner Bushings
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 09:35 PM
Tech Team

It seems to be all the small last minute details that I need to attend to. It is almost there, but time is short for me and the money, will there seems to be no money for my 'Bird. So I wait, but its fine, one day I'll be in the place you are!

Take care,
Patrick
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tommy

Thumbs up

Sounds exactly like how it went for me

Took long enough. You get the parts and install them, then wait to accumulate the cash to buy the next part and install it. lol

I don't have cash right now to buy 2 new rear tires. I have 2 used tires for the front. I drove it yesterday anyway to iron some bugs out. My window stickers are 2000 and 1999! Still waiting for the insurance card to get in the mail. But I couldn't stand it! I'll probably end up taking my buddies offer to rip off his tires and rims to get the car inspected!

Moog 6041 Cut Coils
Hotchkis 3-leafs
Guldstrand Mod
VSE Shocks
VSE Nyliner Bushings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode