Leaning 69 RS - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I have a restored 69 Camaro RS that leans on the driver's side in the rear only. (I just rebuilt the front end with polygraphite bushings and new tie rods). The rear frame is bent slightly down (about an inch lower on the drivers side). Is there a way to raise the rear end about an inch on the driver's side without getting the frame straightened? The car has 5 leaf spring rear suspension. Since the body is already completed I really don't think the frame can be straingtened without bending/damaging something that is restored. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

!969 RS 355ci, vortec heads, Edelbrock performer intake, comp 270H cam, 600 Edel. carb, 4-speed muncie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 04:25 PM
Kevin

Thomas, Unfortunately you have a common problem for early Camaros (I have the same problem, but on 1/2 in).

There are a LOT of past posts on this subject, so please do some searches.

In a nutshell, the possible causes in no particular order are:
mismatched front or rear springs
binding or worn bushings
front spring not seated properly
worn/sagging springs
twisted subframe or body (not common, mainly accidents)
body to subframe bushings not the same thickness (may be due to rusted perches or worn out)
bent front suspension

As with mine, the problem might be the passenger front (if raised would cause the rear to go down)

Do a measurement on all the critical locations on the body and frame. Then jack up the rear with the pointy end of a piece of angle iron in the center of rear pumpkin, then measure front. The do the same to the front and measure the rear. Hopefully you can track down the reason.

Luck, Kevin

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 10-17-2001).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech

Yes, do a search on the subject, it's been beatin' to death many a times. I had the same problem, replaced EVERYTHING mentioned in the post above, and still it had a slight lean to the drivers side. Started out with about an 1" difference, ended up at about 1/4", just enough to hack me off. Alot of other people couldn't notice it, but I did. My final solution was to buy some air shocks, and run separate lines so I could run one side a little higher than the other, to make up the difference. The rides not as smooth, but I can definitely live with it. I'm not saying it's the best solution in the world, but it worked for me.......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!
http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/
<A HREF="http://www.fototime.com/inv/65C66018BF43AB7" TARGET=_blank>http://www.fototime.com/inv/65C66018BF43AB7[/URL]</A>

[This message has been edited by kz1000ltd (edited 10-17-2001).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 06:00 PM
Tech Team

For a quick fix you could put in some longer shackles on the side that is lower or you could put in a lowering block on the side that is higher to even it out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech

I've had many Camaros and Firebird and ones that lean. I've found that the only ones that lean are the ones with mono-leaf rear springs and V-8s. I've swapped srings left to right and still it leaned.I think the rear frame rails become unlevel with age and constant torquing in opposite directions.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 01, 03:14 AM
Tech Team

I had the same problem w/ my 69. I took it to a frame shop and they checked and measured everything. I thought the frame was damaged b/c you can see that it has been pulled before from a previous accident. I replaced all the body bushings and it still had the lean. Turned out to be the body bushing "cup". Check those and you may only need some shimming to correct it. Good luck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 01, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Yes, shims will help. If you can see the frame is bent down on one side then you could add shims between the frame and the body mount. Of course straightening the frame would be my first choice, but sometimes "you gotta do what you gotta do."

ps. welcome to the club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode