steering ? Mr. Pozzi - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Davidpozzi I have another question. I have install P/S on my 68. I have conflicting advise. The question I have is what direction does the flow control valve go(the flat portion,not filterside)? In what order,(towards the pully?). my motors manuel say one way. Bought a new pump and it was the other way(sping first, flow cont. valve and then the fitting). Manual shows - flow cont, spring, fitting.
I installed it the way of the manual. Pumped drained to the box but nothing. Is this backwards? Sorry for the confusing mail. I had a hard time explaining this. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 11:11 AM
David Pozzi

That manual is wrong.
Install the spring first, then flow valve with screened nut facing front of car, then the outlet fitting.
sounds like it was right the way the pump came to you.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks again. I have banged my head so many times and you have been there with the bag of ice! I'll be installing it back in the car today. I was glad to see it was the pump and not the box, what a pain it was to get in. The manual show a step by step on a few pages through. It showed the right way to install. The scematic was completly wrong.
Just to let you know, I installed P/B by using your sight. I owe you a thanks on that job also! My P/B have about a two inch play before grabing hard. Is this an ajustment to the rod?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 07:12 AM
David Pozzi

The booster pushrod has a small amount of adjustment in the clevis end of the pushrod.
David

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 03:48 PM

Mr. Pozzi,
I have a related question; I installed p/s on my '68 using a new reman gear and pump. I used the valve off a '70 chevelle (?) p/s resevoir/pump. My steering works, but is very light (poor road feel). Any advice?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 09:01 PM
David Pozzi

Eugene,
I hate to say it, but you could have/should have, - had your box rebuilt with siffer valving in the top.
You could send yours out to be revalved or sell it and buy one allready done.

Also there are 12 to 1 ratio boxes available for faster steering, or those gears could have been put in your box when rebuilt.

If yours was just done, talk to the rebuilder about exchanging it for what you want.

The stiffest steering box valve I have had was in my 89 IROC, the next step down was in my 85 Z/28.
David

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

DavidPozzi
Just to let you know. I got my pump back in and it works great! Wow, I cant believe the manual showed a scematic with the wronge instalation. I havent adjusted the brakes yet. Should I adjust that clevis outward or in? Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 06:19 PM
David Pozzi

I have the pedal height specs on my page.
If you are converting from manual brakes, you must remove the pedal return spring, bolt a small brake light switch spacer bracket into the upper hole.
The booster pushrod must control the pedal.
David

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 03, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I never had a spring on it. I dont have one now. I'll go to your web site and take a look. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode