Anyone using the Global West Cat 5 System? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 02, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stace

The Global West System is supposed to give the same handling and ride qualities of a C4 Corvette setup without having to swap out the front subframe (which I'd rather not do). And at $3,995 including 12x1.25" front discs, 4 piston Wilwood calipers and their upper control arms, it's pretty reasonably priced if it does what's claimed.

Is anyone here running the GW CAT5? What are your opnions?

------------------
Stace
Abilene, Texas

68 Camaro
68 Camaro Convertible
75 Vette Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 02, 06:17 AM
Tech Team

I haven't but I was reading about it the other night. I thought about buying it also.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 02:54 AM
Tech Team

Check out the Vette Brakes Camaro Maximum Performance System. I had this kit installed in my '72's stock subframe. It required a few small mods: the openings on the lower sides of crossmember had to be notched (very small cuts) and a few holes had to be drilled in order to mount the brackets for the lower control arms and transverse leaf spring. Once installed, I believe this kit converts the Camaro's front suspension to be nearly identical to the C4 Vette's. Haven't driven the car yet, as it is still under restoration, but I'll definitely post my pics of the suspension and my opinion of the ride quality and handling. I read an article a while back in either Chevy High Performance or Super Chevy that claimed that their '71 Camaro equipped with the same kit and some pretty huge tires (17x10 275 front, 17x11 315 back)scored a .98 lateral g on the skidpad. That's up there for a 30 year old car, wouldn't you say? Also, as far as cost goes, the kit goes for about $1500, throw on another $370 for the matching upper A-arms, and about another $700 for front brakes that basically give you Camaro mountable Corvette brakes (the rotors that come with the kit are upgradable to slotted, cross-drilled). So far the cost is below the Global West kit, but I don't know how the quality/handling compares. Check 'em out though, I've heard nothing but good things about this stuff, and I can't wait to drive mine!

[This message has been edited by Igot2'72's (edited 03-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Igot2'72's (edited 03-04-2002).]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stace

I have lots of VB stuff on my 75 Corvette and love it. However, the kit you are talking about is not available for the first gen F-body.

Anybody know anything about the GW CAT 5 system? I can't find anybody running it.

------------------
Stace
Abilene, Texas

68 Camaro
68 Camaro Convertible
75 Vette Convertible
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 10:15 AM
Apprentice
Frank

I just received the last pieces of the system a week ago, I ordered it at the end of november, and installed it yesterday. The car won't be done anytime soon, so I can't say anything about it except it looks real nice.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stace

fscope:
What kind of modifications are required to the frame? Do you have to move/alter the upper a-arm mounts like the Gulstrand mod or like with the DSE arms?

What all comes with the kit besides the a-arms, spindles, brakes & steering?

Thanks for the reply.

------------------
Stace
Abilene, Texas

68 Camaro
68 Camaro Convertible
75 Vette Convertible
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 03:46 AM
Apprentice
Frank

You don't need to modify the frame at all, it is completely bolt on. The kit replaces everything in the steering, suspension and brakes, except the lower control arms, idler arm, steering box and pitman arm, and sway bar (which I bought from them also). the upper a-arms come assembled with ball joints, bushings, and the cross shaft. The spindles come with the aluminum hubs, 1/2 inch wheel studs, two piece curverd vane rotors with the bolts safety wired, wilwood superlite calipers and brake pads all assembled as one unit. they give you the lower ball joints and bushings that need to be pressed onto your original lower a-arms. They also give you a master cylinder and stainless braided flex hoses, tie rods, and a modified centerlink. When you order the system they ask about your car and how you plan to use it so that they can pick out what they feel would be the best springs for you, which are also included. They threw in a set of 1 inch rubber spacers in case my car sits to low. I am very happy with the quality, I just hope it performs at least close to how they claim it does. They also offer a package for the rear suspension, but I don't know too much about it because I'm using a corvette irs.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 05:29 AM
David Pozzi

The kit looks pretty good, just adds up to quite a bit of money for the whole thing.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Stace

fscope: I look forward to hearing your coments on the CAT5 system once you get it on the road. By the way, are you gonna use the C4 vette rear suspension? How are you making that work?

Mr. Pozzi: Yeah, the GW CAT5 system is a little more expensive than a upper a-arm seetup or the gulstrand mod, but GW claims: "Proper negative camber gain for this particular car requires a taller spindle. The stock spindle is too
short even with dropping the upper control arm pivot 1-inch. Negative camber gain is still not generated, contrary to popular belief." Straight from GW's website discussing their negative roll system.
What's your opinion on this claim and the CAT5 system?

------------------
Stace
Abilene, Texas

68 Camaro
68 Camaro Convertible
75 Vette Convertible
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech

I'm certainly no expert on suspensions. My car has the Guldstrand mod, and when my car had no front spring in, I put a wheel on, and put a jack under the lower control arm, when jacking up the control arm I could visibly see the wheel producing negative camber. I think there are graphs on David's web site that shows the Guldstrand mod does produce negative camber.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

[This message has been edited by MarkM (edited 03-06-2002).]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech

I've seen this kit too, and all of the research I have seen suggests that it is probably an improvement over the Gulstrand mod, but man, it's not cheap! I chose to go with their upper control arms, and lower themper the Gulstrand method. The arms are really nice, and they adjust for caster as well, which is really nice. Haven't driven the car yet, so my info here is useless, sorry.

One thing I have heard about the brakes is that Wilwoods tend to be noisy, rattling, etc. I had a "pro street" kit on a 72 Chevelle a couple years back, and I did not experience this, but have heard this complaint from several sources. In addition, Wilwood just came out with some newer kits that clearly state improvements that reduce the noise issues, so there must be something to it.

I think that if I was thinking about dropping that much money, I would probably consider an aftermarket front subframe, with rack, etc. $4k is alot of money, but then again, I'll have spent about $2500 on mine with brakes, so maybe it isn't too outrageous. I guess it comes down to "how well do you want it to work?" I am confident the the Gulstrand/control arm package will be all I need for aggressive street fun.

Mark

------------------
69 SS, Stroker 489, Tremec TKO, Tight Road Suspension
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 03:24 PM
Apprentice
Frank

I hope I don't have problems with the brakes being noisy and rattling, but to clarify the calipers are the superlite series not the dynalite, which are the smaller, cheaper version that they use on the pro street kits. I've heard the pro street kits were under powered, probably more due to rotor size than caliper design, but I don't think I would have bought the system if it came with the smaller calipers. The brakes were a major selling point in my decision.
I looked at what i would have spent for brakes and replacement suspension parts and wasn't that far off that I couldn't justify spending the extra money on a complete system that is suposed to work together and is tested and proven to work well(suposedly).
as soon as I get a chance i'll measure the difference in spindle height and post it here. I'll also post some pics if I have the time to figure out how.
As for the rear, I have installed a dana 36 irs out of a 84-87 vette because i got a good price on it. If I post pics of the front suspension, I'll post some of the rear also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode