Can I remove the cocktail shakers? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 03, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Since I'm dumping front end weight what do I need to do to dump the cocktail shakers on my 69 vert?

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 03, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Just unbolt them and send them to me 'postage paid'.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

No seriously what do I need to do to the car so it will be safe without them? I'm working on getting rid of front end weight.

Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 04:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

A while back I was discussing this with Kyle at Detroit Speed. He felt I could eliminate them as my vert has welded sfc's and solid body bushings. Although I haven't done it yet, I'll post back when I do and report on any before/after differences. While I'm not sure if there's safety issues, per se, they were designed to dampen body harmonics.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 06:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Without the structure of the top the shakers were one of the many differences added to the ragtop. The inner rockers were reinforced, a cross brace was added to the floor pan and 25lb dampners were added to each corner. As I understand it the dampners act like weights on a wheel. One of the problems with the camaro configuration was a vibration from the fenders when the roof was removed from the vehicle. The dampners eliminate that vibration. Subframe connectors may help the cars regidity but I would think if tieing the subframe to the rear frame rails did the same thing Chevy would have done it in place of the balast... Now if you had a cage as well as sf connectors that would be different...

If your car is being built for straight line I could see wanting to lighten the load but if you are going to drive it there are some trade offs to keeping it streetable. Your sig says you have the orig engine, how far are you going with mods? I notice you are relocating the battery to the trunk as well!!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech

Mine have been sitting on the side of my house for the last 3 years. I didn't do a before and after, but my car rides fine without them. It doesn't take that long to remove them, just try it and see what you think, you can always put them back on.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Dennis, I decided to go pro tourer, I installed the whole Hotchkiss system, aluminum heads, tool the 4 speed and went with a 700R4, GW subframe conectors, Stainless Steel rear discs, right now I'm working on what I need for a radiator and fan set up any suggestions? I did not cor anything so if you wanted the car could be returned back to stock if wanted. But why?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 10:57 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The last set I saw on ebay was going for $800 for all 4. Rick at least move them into the garage!! Mike your car sounds cool, any pic's? If GM ever releases the data they have on these cars a real numbers matching RSSS Ragtop is going to hold it's own. Just hang on to the parts you pull off and don't cut things up too much!!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 12:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Seriously - of course you can remove them and you may or maynot be able to tell the difference without them there. If you experience front end vibrations and rattles that can not be cured with tire balance and runout corrections you may need to reinstall them to dampen this out.
The "Cocktail Shakers" were installed by GM to dampen the noticable 'Cowl Shake' in the prototypes. Cowl Shake is very common in all convertibles and several models have used damping systems similar to Cocktail Shakers to get rid (or at least hide some) of Cowl Shake. Unibody or Semi-unibody cars (Camaro) are more prone to the shaking than Full-frame cars - but, I have driven and worked on many BIG Full-frame cars (Cads.& etc...) that shook also.
Yes these parts are fairly heavy - but the General put them there at some expense for a reason. Knowing the reason will help you decide on if the ride quality problems that may show up will be worth losing them.

JMHO

And seriously - send them my way if you don't want them - I know people that could use them!

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Dennis,
I did'nt cut anything on it. It can be turned back into the RS/SS when ever someone (other than me) has the time to do it or money. I decided the next Camaro I do will be finished when I buy it that way I will only bleed once! As soon as we get the front back on and the interior back in it I will shoot some pics. Also I need how to figure out how to up load the pics. I have tried it and it was'nt successful.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode