Progress Report - First Serious Ride! Long - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Angry

I wanted to give you all a "short" report on the results of my 10-month mechanical (and front subframe cosmetic) rehab of my ’68 Camaro to offer hope that there is fun at the end of the tunnel.

I got the car sorted out enough to take it out for a drive this morning on the Angeles Crest Highway here in SoCal. (The Angeles Crest Highway is a road near Los Angeles that is famous in motorcycling circles as one of the best and most fun mountain roads anywhere. At the bottom of the road there’s one of those curvy arrow signs indicating curves ahead with the notation below “Next 55 Miles.”) I wanted to see if the suspension work I’d done was going to pay off. Bottom line: the car handles better than I ever imagined it could.

My setup is: UCA mounting points cut off and moved back about ½ inch and lower as per the Guldstrand modification (all as suggested on David Pozzi’s page); DSE Delrin upper and lower front control arm bushings; Global West solid aluminum body mount bushings; Global West 1” drop front coil springs and Hotchkis 1.5” drop rear springs with their bushings; adjustable Koni front and rear shocks both set on the softest rebound; 1.125” hollow Hotchkis front sway bar; new Moog upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm and “problem solver” cross shafts; DSE tie rod adjusters; stock power steering box modified for about three turns lock-to-lock; C5 8.5x17” wheels (with 2” bolt-on wheel adapters) and 245-45-17tires on the front and 9.5x18” rear wheels (with 1.75” bolt-on wheel adapters) and 275-35-18 tires on the rear. Alignment specs were: Caster: 4 degrees positive, Camber: 0 degrees, Toe-in: 1/16 inch. The alignment shop got the alignment dead on, but had to use lots of shims on both the front and rear bolts, which probably could have been eliminated by flipping the cross shafts over. I do not have SFC’s on the car.

The ride is firm, but not as firm or busy as my wife’s ’94 Corvette and overall pretty comfortable. Going up the Crest the car felt like it was on rails. I didn’t push it too hard (no lower than 50, not much higher than 65 through the curves), but it felt very firm, tracked great and didn’t scare me once. When I tightened my line in a curve, the car just sort of hunkered down and followed the new line - no drama, just good tracking. I’m amazed at what bolt-ons and a UCA relocation have done to the car.

I didn’t play with the brakes, but the manual S-10 MC (another Pozzi suggestion) feels like it’s going to be good. (I couldn’t get it bled enough myself to get a decent pedal, but had it bled by the shop that did the alignment and it’s been firm and high since.) I’m using 13” C5 front disks, with LS1 calipers and Brian’s ([email protected]) brackets on modified drum brake spindles and 10.5 inch rear disks with Cadillac calipers and Ebay brackets on the rear. The proportioning valve is set for minimal reduction in rear braking force, but again, I haven’t tried to sort out the brakes yet. Earls braided steel brake lines for a ’69 Camaro bolted right on both front and rear.

After the ride, I have a few things to correct or improve:

1. I had the stock front bucket seats redone with new foam and new repro covers. The seats suck. There is no side-to-side support as you go through the twisties. They’ll be giving way to something more modern as soon as I can swing it.

2. The front end sits about an inch or so higher then the rear, not surprising when the initial drop in front was ½” less than in the rear. I’ll install the hood, put some more miles on it and then start trimming the coils.

3. There’s a slight polishing by the driver’s side rear tire on the inboard side of the rear wheel well. It looks like some gentle massaging with the delicate adjustment tool should take care of it.

4. I’ll get the front end re-aligned once I trim the coils and see if I either need to flip the offset shafts, or go to straight shafts.

5. The car is a total gas hog! I’m going to try a 600 Edelbrock I’ve got with vacuum secondaries (replacing a 650 Demon with mechanical secondaries) to see if I can crack 10 mpg!

6. The Flowmaster 50 series mufflers have to go! I could have gone faster, but for the roar echoing off the hills. I could just imagine every CHP within miles suddenly looking up and searching for my car.

7. I’m not happy with the rear rotors. Only the outer 1.5” or so is being swept by the calipers. It looks like I should be able to go with at least 11.5 inch disks without any trouble.

Finally, I’ve learned about virtually everything I’ve done to my car on this site and David Pozzi’s pages. I thank all of you and David Pozzi for so generously sharing your knowledge, experience and ideas. If anyone has any questions about any of the stuff I’ve done, I’d be happy to share my experiences with my car.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 03:33 PM
Guess

Thumbs up

I love hearing this stuff. [img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img] Thanks for sharing it Mike.

I'm assuming you installed the cross shafts with the bushing shanks outboard? You could probably do away with most or all of the shims if ya flip them over. I'm gonna use the straight shafts and pray the shim count is low.

I'm also gonna give you my wifes email address.... please tell her what you just said about the seats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

LOL, Joe. Even better, give my wife your wife's email. My wife hates the seats, and she hasn't even gone for a ride yet.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Great to hear that you made it up and down AC without getting a ticket. There's a lot of people, and police, up there on the weekends.

For the front-end ride height you may want to drive it for a while at full weight. The spings usually tend to settle 1/2" or so after several months. Plus, when you get the car re-aligned, you may want to consider having -1/2* camber dialed in.

With a very similar engine to yours my car knocked down 17 mpg on the highway but around town it drank gas worse than a fish. The Demon likely can be jetted down 3-4 sizes from stock.

I too have the stock seats. Pozzi can attest to how bad they are. A new set of Corbeau or Sparco's are in the plans.

You may want to check out Torker's website on how to do a 12" rear disk setup. This can be easily done for under $500, less if you are really frugal. They work great.

Congratulations on getting her back on the road. I'm not to far away so maybe we can touch base sometime.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 07:14 PM
David Pozzi

Glad it all worked! [img]smile.gif[/img]
It's really nice to hear some good news instead of guestions questions questions!
Give the front springs a fiew months to settle. If it settles a little or you lower it a little it will increase the negative camber, so you may wind up with a half degree without doing a re alignment.
I'd check the front end especially for toe changes after it settles.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode