rear shock mount question? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 03, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

can someone tell me what the deal with my shock mount is. It appears to be a mono leaf mount with multi-leaf springs. If this is the case can I use this with the kyb shocks #5521 ? what are my options. if I can use this how do I mount the shock? PICTURE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 03, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

http://camaro101.0catch.com/DSCF0001.JPG

try this link for the picture. you have to copy and paste
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 03, 05:15 PM
Guess

That's definitely a multileaf perch, and multileaf (6?) springs. That block in there looks like a lowering block. Why the heck someone would do that is beyond me unless those springs raised the rear too far. You'll have a heck of a time getting shocks to work properly and might need shock extenders.
How does the car sit right now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 03, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

All I know is that link is to "Pop-up central" (5 link page pop up)......and then the picture didnt even show!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 03, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

sorry about the picture link.
when i bought the car 17 years ago those springs were on there, I used stock replacement stocks and they seemed to work fine.I put the lowering blocks on the car to get it down. i like the way it sits. but with the 2 inchs extra in length to my shock mount. which is a mono mount yes or no? is the question and do i need a different shock mount. thanks for your help!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 03, 04:13 PM
Guess

I'm sorry! Not used to seeing 6-leafs, unless those are considered 5. They must have really raised the car for you to put those lowering blocks in.

Yes, they're mono shock plates. Multi-leaf plates only have one tab to mount the shock.

Supposedly using them on a setup like yours will extend the shock 2 inches farther than designed and possibly over-extending them at times. Even using a multi-leaf shock. That's what shock extenders are for.

I was going to re-use my old rears mono shock plates on my multi-leaf rear because it didn't come with the correct ones, but I didn't want to use extenders so I bought the proper shock plates. They're $30 a piece for imports from Ricks First Gen. or $35 for U.S. made reproductions.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 03, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech

I don't see how adding lowering block to a car neccesitates using shock extensions. My understanding is that as the car is lowered, the space between the shock mounts does not change. The only thing that really occurs is that the space between the axle and bump stop is decreased.

1968 Pro-Touring Camaro.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 03, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
Josh

Lowering blocks do not change shock travel. Mono leaf shock plates and a multi leaf spring would increase the distance due to the multiple leafs acting as spacers. Mono leaf mounts will often end up bending like a "U" if used on a multi leaf. I have some nice aftermarket ones from DetroitSpeed http://www.detroitspeed.com/ProductsAndServices.html that are really heavy duty and reduce shock travel an inch or more compared to mono leaf brackets, they are for multi or mono leaf. Only thing I found was that the lower shock mount bolt is a 1/2 inch as opposed to 7/16 like stock. I drilled out the bushing in the shock to accept a 1/2 bolt.

J Early
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 03, 07:40 AM
Guess

Right.... the shock plate is what makes the difference, not the blocks.
Why else would shock extenders be manufactured other than to use in an incorrect setup?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 03, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. as far as having 6 leafs on the spring I dont know, now you have me wondering what they are from? so what is the difference between mono shocks and multi-leaf shocks? the mount hole size? the shock travel?
because i bought kyb shocks for a multi-leaf setup and then found out that i have a mono shock plate. I really dont want to use extenders but i will for a while as long as it not going to cause any major problems. I'm re-doing the whole car but trying to not go overboard with all the expenses.

thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 03, 04:12 PM
Guess

Landguy,

Do a search through this forum. There's tons of info on the differences.

Extenders won't cause any problems. You aren't going to be carving up the canyon roads are you?
If you're just going at the car a little at a time, like I said the multi-leaf shock plates are only $35 a piece from Ricks, then you can just keep the shocks and U-bolt hardware you're using now.
And like Mr. Early said, using the mono plates on a multileaf setup can bend them (mine did). But it looks like yours are still nice and flat. Is that piece between the spring leafs and the shock plate steel or rubber? It looks like it's helping keep the plate flat.

New springs will run you somewhere between $180 for stock type replacements to over $400 for a lowering type spring. Some come with new bushings, some don't. I'd be willing to bet a stock replacement spring on your car will put the stance back where it belongs, and you can get rid of those blocks. Are the spring shackles original type or some kind of aftermarket type that is lifting the rear of the car?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode