step by step removing front springs - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

here is my problem, i would like to drop my front end 2 inches, i know this has been discussed many times but i have gone through about every forum and i can't find exactly where to start. My question is what is the step by step procedure from loosing the first nut on one of the a-arms to actually pulling the spring out? i know this will probly take forever for someone to type out, or it may not, anyways thanx for your help.
Quick_68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 10:40 AM
David Pozzi

No offense meant, but you are asking quite a lot, and while someone here might provide it, you should really have a factory manual to go by.
There is so much good information in the manuals I just don't see why someone would try to do mechanical work without one.

I'd hate to see you injured by one thing I or someone else left out of the instructions!
There is not only the risk of injury when doing the work, there is risk of something failing while driving due to wrong torque or installation.
I would buy, borrow, or photocopy pages from a manual on the section you need. Then ask clairifying questions here.
One very valuable thing I learned from my grammar school teacher was: "I don't expect you to know the answer to everything, but I DO expect you to be able to look it up".

I don't know if you are young or old-er, or what your experience is, but by the sound of your question, sounds like you are not very experienced with this type work and that is the person who really needs good instruction materials.

I have taken the time to build up quite a reference library, and it really helps.
I have factory manuals for many of my cars, a good Colledge level Auto mechanics class book, a nice diesel mechanics and fuel injection book, John Deere failure analysis book, GM fuel injection manuals, aftermarket books on FI, suspension books from about every major writer from Herb Adams, Steve Smith, Carrol Smith, Millikan and Millikan, SAE publicatons, Aerodynamics - I like the Joseph Katz book, Smokey Yunick, Donohue, VanValkenburgh. Tons more.
Not to mention catalogs for tools, parts and hardware.
Please, again, I am not trying to put you down, just point out what my approach has been.
It's fine to ask questions here, that is what this forum is all about. But I'm coming to realize that there are a lot of people that are not investing in manuals and tackling jobs that deeply affect safety.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 03-17-2002).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

David i understand everything about the safety issue but i just wanted to know what i had to do to drop the bottom a-arm out. i have already removed some of the nuts that i thought were holding it up(like the sway bar and the top of the spindle nuts) but i know thats is not enough because it didnt move. i know i should leave the shock on so the spring wont fly off but i dont know what else could be holding it. thanx for your concern, and if you could tell me what im missing it would be greatly appreicated
Quick_68
p.s.
is the spindle suppose to be removed or does it drop down with the rest of the bottom a-arm

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 12:27 PM
David Pozzi

You can separate it at the top ball joint, or lower ball joint. The ball joints are tapered so they usually stick.
A "pickle fork" can break them loose but damages the rubber ball joint boot.
You can smack the side of the spindle boss with a hammer and it may pop loose.
The nut must be on the stud or the lower A frame will slam down and injure you or do damage.
Besides the nut, I position a floor jack about an inch under the lower A frame. The spring then helps to separate the ball joint while smacking it. Use a big hammer too!
Then jack up the A frame a bit, remove the nut, and slowly lower the A frame down.
You must have the engine in the car or it won't work right.
With no engine in the car I use allthread in the shock holes to compress the spring and let it out.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 03-17-2002).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tyler

thank you for your reply david, i do appreciate.thanx
Quick_68
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

David is right to warn you to be VERY careful. You have already removed the nut on top of the lower ball joint so that worries me. Put it back on carefully.

To do the job...What I would add is to be sure to run a fairly heavy link chain loosely through the spring and around the frame rail before removing anything, bolt the ends together to contain the spring in case it flys out due to an accident or mistake. The shock can (must) be removed to do this job. The car should be supported on jack stands on the frame rail with the weight of the car on the stand. I would put a roll around hydraulic jack under the lower a-frame near the outside and raise the jack untill it is just about an inch or less away from the ball joint. Back the nut off the lower ball joint a few turns but do not remove it. hit the cast spindle with a big hammer in the area of the ball joint stud or use a pickle fork if you want to avoid potential damage to the spindle to separate the tapered stud from the spindle. The spring will force the ball joint to release with great force and you should hear a loud noise to let you know why we urge you to be careful. Lift the jack up if it is not already holding the force of the spring in order to remove tension from the nut. Remove the nut and lower the jack slowly and the spring will fall out or it can be safely pulled out after all the tension is released. Unbolt and remove the chain. If you are unsure about this in any way, ASK FOR HELP! Good luck,

-Mark.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 02, 08:34 PM

David,

You refer to using "allthread" to compress the spring and slowly release the pressure when the engine is out of the car. Is this one of the internal spring compressors?

By the way... I've got a million books on the subject, and they all seem to give instructions based on having the engine in the car to hold things down.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode