optimum spindle height - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 03, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
How do i figure the optimum spindle height?
Should i just go by whatever height i can fit in the wheel that sets the suspension to where i want the RC, IC's and Swing arm.

Thanks!
Working on my own spindle design.

Gold 67' Camaro<br />Small Block BSE power in the works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 03, 05:14 PM
David Pozzi

When you look at a Camaro spindle on an aggressively lowered car, the balljoint winds up too high compared to the inner A arm pivot points.

At that point, you have the choice to make to lower the balljoint on a new spindle or raise the inner pickup points.

I would assume the lower the lower balljoint is on the spindle, the lower the tire scrub would be depending on upper A arm angle of course.
Many lower balljoints are very close to the spindle, this may be due to the need to achieve good ground clearance and also puts cornering loads mainly on the lower control arm.
A lower balljoint position would put more load on the upper control arm.

The older cars have the steering linkage in line with the lower A arm, the inner steering pivot is at that point.
The steering arm can be anywhere you want, but the distance from it to lower balljoint will affect the length of the toe link. You can't have the steering arm too low or too high or there won't be room to fit it's length inside the wheel rim.

Have you considered making a spindle that has a late model bolt on wheel bearing unit? Steilow did one like that.
David

[ 06-27-2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: davidpozzi ]

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 03, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

david,
Thanks once again.

My plan is to be able to hook camaro brakes and rotors up to it, so it kind of kills any idea of late model brakes......for now.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 03, 11:31 AM
Banned

CnC,

I think what David is trying to say is that you can make a bolt together spindle for a more modern design, but still use the old style "spud" dimensions so everything still fits.....

This way you can make the bolt on spud and put it wherever you want to with respect to raising or lowering the frontend.

Heck, if the back half with the balljoint holes is a "square-C" shape with a vertical flat front, you can drill multiple holes and raise/lower the spud as it suits!!! Plus bolt-on steering arms can also match locations with the holes.

Just thinking out loud here... pdq67

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 03, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

haha,
I completely missed what you guys were attempting to get across to me.
Not a bad idea about the bolt on spud, but i dont get how it would be strong enough.

[ 06-30-2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: CamaroNOTcamero ]

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 11:49 AM
Banned

Smile

Run a single shear stress analysis using (4), full diameter 1/2" or 9/16", Grade-8 bolt areas added together..

In other words, the threads are not in shear b/c the root diameter of the threads is a lot less then 1/2" or 9/16".
This link may help out..

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...ners/index.asp

And if still in doubt, go 5/8" bolts!!

But I bet they will be adequate, imho... pdq67

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Paul, One problem i have is that i'm using tubing to build the body of it, (using solid bar for the spuds), I'm not a 100% for using bolts through tube in such a situation.
To keep is as structually sound as possible i'd prefer to have my dad weld the joint.
Plus any movement of the spindle spud is going to throw off the suspension geometry.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 03, 02:28 PM
David Pozzi

Steilow made a spindle out of aluminum flat plate around 5/8" thick, somehow added an upper and lower ball joint tapers, and bolted on a late model front spindle cartridge either off a vette or fourth gen Camaro.

A Camaro spindle could be used as is, with proper geometry designed into the A arm mounts and put a rack up front. You'd then only need to design a steering arm or use a front steer arm from a Chevelle or Monte Carlo.
Making a spindle is tough and is going to be expensive.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 03, 02:31 AM
Banned

Smile

I don't think that I would make the spindle upright out of tubing, even heavy tubing.

This might sound stupid, but I have seen rolled structural steel that looks like a big "U"-channel that is like 3/4" thick that you could whittle a back-spindle half out of. Then bolt the spud half to and I bet it would be lighter then a stock forging or modified casting.

And the spud half can be whittled out of a solid chunk for extra strength, then heat-treated for max. strength and needed ductility! Bolted together and you would be good to go..

Do you by chance have access to an optical parts comparator so that you could get the exact dimensions off a stock, cast spindle to start the part creation from?

pdq67

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 03, 03:36 PM
Banned

Angry

CnC,

Check out Heidt's Tri-Five 2" dropped spindle and you will get a really good picture of what I've been mouthing about.

Just make the upper and lower balljoint holes for our balljoints and bolt on a spud anywhere you want!! And use one pair as permanent steering arm bolt holes, too...

Cool!!!!

You can even design the back of the spud so that it would nest and be "indexable" so that it would take some of the load off the mounting bolts!!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode