Rear Drum Woes... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Well, I went to change out my wheel cylinders, and shoes on the back half of the 69 coupe. I started with the dr. side, and got everything dismantled o.k. I broke loose the nuts to the cylinder, and then I went to loosen the brake line nut and snap! So, I went and bought a double flaring kit. I slipped the new nut over the tubing, but could only get it ~ 1/2 way on! [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img] So, I figured I would deal with it later. I went to pull the pass. side drum off and it's stuck! I tapped on it briskly with a mallet and couldn't get it to slip off.

Here's my questions: What to do with the tubing/nut issue, and whats a good trick to getting the stuck drum off?

thanks in advance-Dan [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

If you can't see the bright side of life, try polishing the dull side...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

I removed the 'piggy bank' plug from the backing plate, fiddled with the star wheel adjuster until I could wiggle the drum a little bit...Then i noticed that the I.D. of the drum had rust built up. After scraping that away, I was able to yank the drum off! Phew! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Now to figure out the brake line prob

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
I would just replace the rear lines leading to each wheel cylinder. They are available at many of the resto houses.

-Funk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

I would have just ordered new lines...but I'm sorta cheap I wound up fixing the line and flaring the end. It was a struggle to re-bend the line to get the nut into the wheel cylinder...NOW,
I just have to figure out how the whole mess goes back together, bleed the brakes and go cruisin!!!
Thanks for the reply CFunK! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] I couldn't have figured it out without the TC help [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

MrDan

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 05:02 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Did you double flare it?

-Funk

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Yes, I put the line into the bar and placed the tooling into the end of the line and then put the cone/clamp onto it and squeezed it until it wouldn't go any further. It made a fine flare on the edge. Thanks again for the help... [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Sounds like a single flare to me.

-Funk

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Nope, it made a "double-flare", I adjusted the star wheel through the plugs on the back sides of the backing plates until there was slight drag, and then bled the brakes w/the wife...All went well. No leaks, no problems, no worries

CFUNK, just curious why the old pic of my coupe with the rusty hubcaps makes you wanna cry? I was jumpin for joy when I handed over the two grand for the car. I jumped a little more when I found the build sheet and then the pop card still attached to the warranty brochure [img]smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 03, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

It was not my intention to slam your car. I have never been a fan of wire wheel covers much less rusty ones.

The build sheet and POP, now that is sweet.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 03, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

O.K. Mr.Funk. I see how you meant it now [img]redface.gif[/img] I hate to see a muscle car with Schuck's add on's to the exterior too! I don't remember what the car looked like when I first dragged it home Sometimes I think that I'll never get it "completed"...

Dan [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 03, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

It will never be complete. There will always be something you want to fix, change or mod. It's a life long affair and your wallet just learns to live with it.

I went back and looked at the web site, MUCH improved shoes on that '69 from the rusty wire baskets.

-Funk

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dano

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img] I think the red bombers coming along nicely...I went and checked out your ride on your little site. Very nice Camaro Mr.Funk! If that's your house, then we have similar looking houses too [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Dan

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 02:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

Perhaps the parking brake is still set and that's why the drum is difficult to remove?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode