David Pozzi, Question on front suspension kit. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm getting ready to order my new front susp. parts in a kit. I'm probably getting them from Ricks Camaro. The price is $359 for 67 and $319 for 68-69. I was going to buy the 68-69 kit til I read on your site that the tie-rods are different. Can you tell me what is the best thing to do here? Should I spend the xtra $40 and get the 67 kit and hopefully the longer idler arm or go with the 68-69 kit? Kit includes all bushings, b/joints both inner and outer t/r's with idler and p/s pitman arm for fast ratio. Thanks

[ 08-18-2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: RamJam ]

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

Have you thought about contacting PST for one of their kits. They are located in New Jersey and have a toll free number: 1-800-247-2288. They have both rubber and polygraphite kits. Price may be less than what you quoted from Rick's. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Gene
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67Cam,
Belive me I've been back and forth with alot of these Co. and what I've found is they're all about the same price when you add in the s&h that some charge against the ones that don't (which they really are charging you it's just hidden in the price). The one thing that makes Ricks stand out to me is their overhaul kit includes the idler and pitman arm and they also have them for reg. p/steer and fast ratio p/steering. The price seems high until you figure those 2 important parts. Thanks for suggestion though.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 03:44 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Just a quick note, try pricing all the parts individually at your local parts store. I bought the PST front suspension rebuild kit and a disc brake conversion kit. I found I could have saved A LOT of money by buying common items like tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. at Autozone or Advance and then ordering only the poly bushings or special parts they didn't have.

1969 Yellow/black Std Coupe Camaro. GMPP Crate 330hp/350 + TH350 trans.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

engle,

That was the first thing I did before looking into kits. I priced it all out at my local parts stores and they were way off, like about $100 off unless I wanted the real cheapies, which I hope is not what they sell in the kits. The parts store couldn't even get me a 67 idler arm. I've been to a few of them in my area (one was Pepboys) and their computers don't even go to 67 they start at 68, like there never was a 67, that really pisses me off... Thanks

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 07:05 PM
David Pozzi

I believe the difference in 67 parts is the outer tie rod end length, and in the adjuster sleeve. The 67 has a longer sleeve and shorter tie rod end.
The 67 idler arm is also longer if you get the "proper" one.
If you use 68/9 toe adjuster sleeves the 68/9 kit will work.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sounds like I should spend the extra money and get the 67 kit. Might be less headaches. Thanks

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 03, 06:22 PM
David Pozzi

To make it more confusing, some 68's came with 67 steering parts on them.

"I just found this tidbit in the August 1968 edition of "Chevrolet Service News", and thought it was interesting.
"1967 Camaro Manual Steering Gears Used in 1968 Production"
"In order to use up a surplus of 1967 Camaro manual steering gears, all 1968 Camaros equipped with manual steering built from May 22, 1968 to June 7, 1968 at the Norwood assembly plant [Serial Nos. N438680 through N448071] or from March 29, 1968 to July 23, 1968 at the Los Angeles assembly plant [Serial Nos. L338182 through L359064 (estimated final production serial number)] were built with the 1967 manual steering gears. Units incorporating these gears will also use 1967 steering arms, pitman arm and idler arm. Consequently, whenever it becomes necessary to replace one of the above mentioned affected components on a late built Camaro, check the serial number. If the serial number falls within the ranges given above, verify the existence of 1967 componets using the information given below."

The article then has a chart of part numbers to identify 1967 components.

Steering Gear Assembly....Daub of yellow paint on top
L/H Steering arm.....#3916265 forged on arm
R/H Steering arm.....#3916266 forged on arm
Pitman Arm.....#3908391 forged on arm
Idler Arm.....#3908385 forged on arm

Article continues:
"It should also be noted here that if power steering is installed in the field on a 1968 Camaro having the 1967 components, the pitman arm supplied with the 1968 conversion kit should NOT be used. Instesd use pitman arm, Part No. 3908379."

The above was posted on Team Camaro a while back.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Thanks David, Glad I don't have to worry about that yet. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode