3rd gen vs 1st gen rear end - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

hello.
i have a 1st gen 'bird with a 3.23 open rear, and eventually i would like to go to 3.73 or better with an overdrive trans, but i have basically no money.

i was wondering if the track width, pinion length, and u-joint size are something i can work with on the third gen, or even if any of them would have the ratio i'm looking for.

i haven't been to any salvage yards around here, and would like to know what all my options are before i visit..

i figure if i can find a complete rear which i can make fit, it may be cheaper than changing out my carrier.
i've never done either job, but am up for them, and have lots of tools. (including a welder). i kind of think all the first and second gen parts will be all gone. i guess if i can find an old nova or something with a 336 or higher i can just get a new ring and pinion for it. i really dont know for sure though. i have already done as much research as i know how, and some of it conflicts. i havent seen any info on the 3rd gen rear. just 1st and 2nd. and yes, i know they had coil springs.

any and all info or suggestions will be appreciated.

If I didn't learn it from my my mentors, I learned it as a result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech

3rd gen uses a 7.5" rear end, which is too weak for performance use. You may have the old Buick/Pontiac type rear end (cover has scallops at 3:00 & 9:00 positions). It's hard to find parts for these. A 68-79 Nova (or clone) rear end is the same width & has the same perch spacing. There seems to be some variance in driveshaft length, however. Also, some 75-79's used the 7.5" axle, usually with 6-cyl. engines. Some '75 V8's also used them. The best of the bunch is the 12-bolt, which is a rare find these days. Running a close 2nd is the 8.5" which was used from 71 or 72 through 79. Here's an identification guide:

http://www.prestage.com/Tech+Info/Re...s/default.aspx
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 03, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks

it's definitely the bop rear i have.

i didnt know 3rd gen's were only 7.5. thats prob'ly okay for me as i only have the sohc6, and dont plan to be able to tweak more than about 250hp out of it.

i'm mostly interested in getting the correct track width (within an inch) and being able to put 3.90 gears in it.

i guess i just have to hope these yards have a nova type, or get a second gen. or just save up for a new carrier for mine. the parts are hard to find for the bop 8.2, but they are out there. somehow i doubt i'll find what i'm looking for at the salvage yard. if only i had a 3.36 instead i could just buy a ring and pinion set.

If I didn't learn it from my my mentors, I learned it as a result.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode