Eaton Spring comes through with 69 convert info! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 02, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Thumbs up

I was reading the past posts about the convert spring problem and combined with my problems, I felt a need to get in touch with Eaton spring directly. Surprisingly, they replied! Here it is:

Mike, I just read your info on the Eaton tech page about Monos Vs Multis.
I have a couple of questions. I have 2 69 Camaros CONVERTIBLES, one
with Monos and one with multis.

Mono question - I have a multis on there now until I order the monos, but
the ride hight with the 5 leaf multis (new spring) is too low. Will the
correct convertible mono bring the ride height back to stock? or do I
have to specify a certain ride height to get the rear end up more? This
is a base 327/pg 10 bolt car with power top and spoilers.

Multi question - There are two styles of multis in the Camaro parts
houses, Original style and not correct style. The original style has
blind leaf pockects for the spacers and the not correct style has holes
to hold the leaf spacers. Does Eaton make the original style and how do
I order it for my car? RS/SS 350/4speed, power top, windows, spoilers 12
bolt (heavier than the 327 car)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Kevin,

The correct mono will sit the car back to proper ride height. Springs are 199.00 a pair plus shipping. Installation kit with all the parts needed to install is 124.95 and does both sides.

Second question. Our 69 springs are the type with 2 holes. 69 was the only year when cups were used. Although we can make them, very, very few are willing to pay the price, 499.00 a pair vs. 199.00.

We accept Visa, Master Card, American Express, checks, cash, money orders and wire transfers. Sorry no COD.

Due to the volume of E-mails we receive, we request when replying to this E-mail kindly do so by hitting your "REPLY" button. This way we can maintain a clear line of communication.

Thank You
Mike
Phone 1-313-963-3839
Fax 1-313-963-7047 www.eatonsprings.com

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I would gladly pay an extra $120 (over parts houses price of $379) to get a correctly configured set of springs made exactly for my car AND looks correct, then the one size fits all for $379 from the repro houses.

I will be ordering the springs from Eaton directly!

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 02, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech

You won't be let down by the Eaton's. The price, quality, and service are untouchable. Good luck!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 02, 11:04 PM

Eaton surprised me with the help they offered. Here's the deal: Like a dummy, I bought a set of "replacement springs" for my 68. They made the car sit too high and they were super stiff. I went to Eaton and talked to Mike. He said "bring in the springs you bought. I'll check the arch, the spring rate and the load rate for you. Maybe we can make them work." He said "I'd hate to see someone buy something they can't use. Bring them in, there will be no charge." It's easier for me because I live 20 miles away but I thought that was a very nice gesture, especially since I haven't bought anything from them.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 02, 03:22 PM

Smile

Just for information.

The stock '68 Firebird multi's that I put under my car after I broke the drivers side mono has little rectangular holes back from the tapered squared-ends that "square-flat" pads snap into using two "real small tangs" with a hook coming off the outside "side" (if this makes any since?) of each side. The little tangs are "split" and about 1/4" long, if that.

The JCW, '68 Nova, three-leaf, mono replacements that I got to replace them have the cups on each end with pads that fit the cups! I laid out both old and new main leafs and the arches and eye's were identical just to double check them for correct fit.

I did specify all rear poly to fit my mono car and all worked out real good except for having to trim the sides of the housing pads with a box knife. pdq67

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 05:03 AM
Senior Tech

Kevin, and others, thanks for the posts on Eaton. I am considering rear springs for a car other than my Camaro and feel that calling these guys is the way to go. They are a little more money than the "catalogue" parts, but it sounds like they are well worth it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 02, 06:44 AM

Great info, Kevin. Thanks. What about matching coil springs to the car. Does Eaton do that as well?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 07:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Gambitt
I was under the impression that the 379.00 springs from the repo places were exact technically correct replacements. Most places show replacements for 199.00 and correct ones for 379.00. I would rather pay 379.00 than 499.00.

Gambitt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Gambit, The question was does the $379 on size fits all work on the convert. I have the $199 coupe multi springs on my convert now and there are too low. I would pay the extra for springs that were rated for converts.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 05:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage
I realize what the question was...just not sure of the correct answer. The repo houses do stock a correct 4 leaf spring which is 379.00, but that is probably not correct for a convertible...I'm not familiar with convertibles, just 69 Z28s. It seems just about everything for a convertible is unique.

Gambitt
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 02, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage
I realize what the question was...just not sure of the correct answer. The repo houses do stock a correct 4 leaf spring which is 379.00, but that is probably not correct for a convertible...I'm not familiar with convertibles, just 69 Z28s. It seems just about everything for a convertible is unique.
Judging by one of the other post on this board, I would be a little apprehensive about Eatons information...they were trying to sell a 5-leaf spring to someone with a 69 Z28.

Gambitt
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 02, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech

Brother Gambitt...I would reserve your apprehension for other suppliers, such as those in the usual catalogs.

Eaton sells replacement springs for a great price. They won't begin until you've answered a dozen questions regarding your car and goals.

If you're looking for concours quality parts, they can do that to, for twice the money.

Eaton supplied many of the springs for early Camaros, and they still have the original blue prints. If you have the original codes, for instance your coil springs have a two letter code...something like "ED", Eaton will make you the exact spring that came on your car in the 60's. Same with leafs.

Pull them up on eatonspring.com...give them a call...you won't be sorry.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 02, 06:09 AM

Smile

Gambitt, the 5 leaf mix up quote from Detroit Eaton was my mistake, I told the guy that the car had 5 leafs, I knew the leafs were unique to the Z28, but could not remember the 4 leaf thing, I was going to go out in the garage and look under the car before I called them, but I took the lazy approach and winged it after reading the post. The car is in storage right now for the winter.

The correct Eaton Part number for the 1969 4 leaf multi is ML231 at 199.00 per pair.

Just a side note, I phoned Rick's to check on the correct appearing pair for 379.00, but I was told by the sales person they no longer stock or carry them since 1999.

When I spoke to Detroit Eaton they can make them for 349.00, I just ordered the 199.00 pair from Eaton. I plan to keep and drive the car for awhile and don't care about the 100 percent look for car shows and that kind of stuff. Hope this helps, I just wanted to clear the misconception on Eaton giving the wrong information on my other post.

As always, everyone on this site has been very helpful, Thanks to all of you.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 02, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Garage
Thanks for straightening me out on that. I am in the market for a set of springs, and have not decided on what to do yet. I have a set of aftermarket ones on the car now, and I do not like them, so I am thinking of going back with an original style spring. Thanks again for the information.

I'm checking with Eaton on a set of original springs right now...thanks again for the help guys.

Gambitt

[This message has been edited by Gambitt (edited 02-15-2002).]
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 02, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Kevin

Well, I just talked to Mike at Eaton and Eaton has decided that there is not enough interest in the correct looking multleafs for Camaros. The re-tooling would not be worth it to them.

Too bad.

Kevin

------------------
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 02, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech

Gambitt, go for the Eatons. I bought some from a catalog supplier too. They made the car sit way too high and were so stiff I don't think the weight of 2 camaros could have made them bend. I tossed those out for a pair of Eatons. Now my car sits just right and actually has a rear suspension that works. You won't be disappointed.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode